Why will she not go out for walkies? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Why will she not go out for walkies?

Tikva gets more than enough exercise rushing about the yard on her tether, but she will not go out for a walk when I take her on the Silver Monster, my big road mobility scooter. I put her down and she just jumps up on the footplate or up on my lap. So far I have managed to get her to walk maybe three or four metres and she is up again.

I am taking her out every day - we go to one of the grassy areas, and I am not even unclipping her leash to clip on a long running leash - just unclipping her so she is loose and free to run where she wants. But she does not. Even if I drive away from her she is instantly beside my scooter and jumps on it because she does not want to go run run.

I know she gets enough exercise but why will she not want to go out for walks when on a leash attached to my scooter? And although I am happy that she will not go run run when unclipped, why does she not want to go explore, but just wants to velcro herself to my scooter and me?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    It's a big scary world out there. She probably feels more secure on her home ground - or your knee. Keep plugging away, tiny steps, I'm sure you will get there.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think that because Tikva was so young and could not even go out in the front yard until she had had all her worm pills and puppy shots, then the rabies shot - and then the horrid Parkworm arrived in this area which meant three-monthly shots... and with dogs running loose and the dumped dogs, once she could go out in the yard on her tether, she just did not want to go out except in the yard.

Taking her out on Xanadu, my electric chair, was not possible because the controls are on my right hand and we drive on the right here, so holding a leash was a no-no. And small as she is, Tikva is very strong, so taking her out on Tontoo, my little foldable scooter which does have delta handlebars, and which can be used with either hand, she was just too strong. She pulled it, with me on it, over.

And she was terrified of The Silver Monster when she first saw it. Well it is rather large...

OK Tikki - you have got to go out, not just in the front yard. I took her out again and went up one of the tractor paths - and unclipped her leash without even trying to clip her onto the long running leash, and she did not even want to explore. She just wanted to be on my lap and go home.

But I will not give in. She really should learn to go out, but if she does not want to? Nothing I can do except keep taking her out until she is happy.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Took her out again this morning, round a different way, but she just would not walk, just climbed up onto my lap.

Let her off her leash on a nice grassy area and - this is going to sound daft, but tried to drive away from her and she just galloped to me and jumped up on my lap again.

Tbh I do not know whether to be worried or just accept that Tikki does not want to go away from her home ground. She was not even really happy sitting on my lap, but was shivering and did not relax until we got home.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This is what I think I would do, but I'd love to hear any other ideas.
    If it was a pleasant day, I think I would start off by finding a nice grassy corner and just sit and let her watch people passing by for 10 - 15 minutes or so. Hopefully, Tikva will relax and start to enjoy some new scent and social opportunities - maybe she could have some special treats to search for while she is there. She might be more interested in walking to get there when she begins to see it as a fun experience.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikki is not tense, she just does not want to get down. And although there are a few nice grassy areas on the Moshav, none have people passing by so nothing to interest her.

She loves being outside in the yard, watching children and adults go by - although she does not like it when she is screamed at, but she just does not want to go out for walks.

I am not going to give up because I really think she needs to go out and not just rush around the yard. But it is up to her and as long as she is happy and has enough exercise, I do not know what else to do.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Have you tried throwing a few treats down in the grass for her to search out. While she's thinking about her belly, she may not notice that she is actually down on the ground :)
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not really want her picking up treats from the grass, because of the loose and stray dogs that wander about - I can guarantee none have had any vaccinations and now with this horrid Parkworm, the last thing I want her to do is think that there are treats [known to her as sweeties] on the ground.

Especially after the diabolical allergic reaction she had to something and the mad panic rush to the vet Sunday last week. First time ever as first Michal and now Ram comes here every three months for the Parkworm shot - but it was a really bad allergic reaction, probably caused by something that had been thrown into my yard, so no way do I want her hunting around thinking that there might be sweeties.

So what I am going to do is just let her sit on my lap while I drive around, not even try to get her to walk on the pavement on the leash I have tied to the frame of the Silver Monster, or wander around any of the grassy areas either off leash or on the long running leash.

I know she gets enough exercise as she has rock solid muscles and is very strong even though she really is skinny. And I know she eats well and has all the vitamins and necessary supplements added to her raw food [thanks to @Tarimoor for teaching me all about raw feeding].

Maybe when she gets used to the world outside she will change? I will leave it up to her what she wants to do.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If not sweets, what about toys?
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot take Tikva out tomorrow as it is the first day of Pesah [Passover] so is a Holy Day. And of course I should not be on the computer as Pesah started at dusk, just as I should not be on Shabbat, but in my home it is my problem. Not outside though. I can not use Xanadu or The Silver Monster outside until sunset tomorrow..

Anyhow, Tikki will be taken out probably twice a day now, sitting on my lap. It was too risky to even let her out in the yard when she first came here, and although I know that some people will put a new puppy down on the ground before they have been vaccinated, Tikva was much too young - and I do not know whether her dam had been vaccinated so if Tikki had any antibodies from her milk.

Yes I could have started taking her out after she had had all her shots, but due to certain circumstances I just could not go out. So the pair of us have both got to get used to going out.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Took Tikva out again but just drove round with her on my lap, which she was happy about. Found another grassy area so parked, unclipped her leash so she could get down if she wanted, which she did but did not move more than a metre away from me. Then came back and jumped on my lap and the phone rang!

I am wearing a 3/4 sleeve length, knee-length top over some trousers. And the top has a kangaroo-type pouch pocket which my mobile is in. Not a smart phone, just my new little Alcatel phone.

And I have it set not just to ring but also to vibrate and poor 'ickle Tikki was sitting on it! :005:

Guess who tried to climb up on my head? :043: :043: :043: