Wolfalike/Wolfdog - whats your breed and why? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by alady??, Jul 3, 2009.

1. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie

Wolfalike/Wolfdog - whats your breed and why?

:grin: Thought I would attempt to start an appreciation thread for our dogs. :grin: :grin:

Piccie of your dog, breed and why you chose that breed...

Me The Utonagan/British Utonagan:

I chose this breed as I loved the whole concept of a dog that looked like a wolf, no wolf recent content, not a hybrid nor a wolf. I have always admired wolves since I was a child and have avidly followed the re-intro of them all over the world.
    I would have loved to have been a millionaire and bought an island so I could have wolfs on my ground, but realise they are beautiful wild animals and should be left as such. I feel passionately that having a "pet" wolf is like putting a Golden eagle in a cage...a travesty :?

So when I found a lookilike with a brilliant nature for me, loving but challenging :grin: it was a dream come true..
    I have been a complete anorak ever since...

My family:

[​IMG]
    Raven: my first Ute, she is my nemisis :grin: :grin: Always a trier, full of cheek, a mums girl but shes in denial :lol:

[​IMG]
    Pagan: Very sweet nature, quite a sensitive soul, but also full of cheek :lol:

[​IMG]
    Scout : the baby, 5months :grin: such a wee sook... and also full o cheek :lol: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I own a Full Northern Inuit (Shila) and a NI x Husky (Isis)

I didn't start looking at the breed with the intention of gettin one I was more interested then anything else, I met a bloke who had a "wolf cross" which was actually a very large GSD he found me the info for some kennels I had a look went to see some pups n was smitten with the breed to be honest, It wasn't about owning a "wolf look a like" for me at all.
    I just loved the dogs I met and after 4 years of looking and pestering I was bought Shila as a gift from my ex 4 months after that I took Isis on x

Shila
    [​IMG]

Isis
    [​IMG]
  4. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Lovely dogs :)
  5. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Kiesha age 3 (crossbreed/wolf lookalike catagory)

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  6. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Kai age 2 (crossbreed/wolf lookalike catagory)

[​IMG]
  7. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

They all look very similar, your breeder certainly breeds to type :D :lol:

(I am just joking btw)

Lovely photo's :)
  8. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: Aw nice, why did you get them Liz, whats your story?
  9. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Ava age 1 (crossbreed/wolf lookalike catagory)

[​IMG]
  10. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: :grin: now now be good ;-)
  11. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

Oh sorry, forgot that bit :lol:
    I was looking for a husky and after i done my research decided the 'no off lead rule' would not be something that i wanted in a dog, i like to see them run free so when Kiesha came up she fitted the look i liked. Kai followed about six months later and then Ava about six months after that. All three dogs came to me quite by accident but its a long story.
    I would definately have at least one more, maybe next year.
  12. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: :grin: me too love watching them all run, and then come back :lol: :lol:

They are very addictive too :lol:
  13. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I have two NI`s.. which i love dearly, but they certainly have issues with their behaviour that was not talked about on any websites or forums before my first 3 1/2 years ago. We bought our first Freya from Backcountry, it was more my son`s dream than mine at the time we got her.. but she's turned out to be my soul mate.. doesn`t leave me for a second in the house but a complete cow around other dogs outside.

Freya
    [​IMG]

Our 2nd we got from a good friend and breeder.. Sansorrella. They are 1/2 brother & sister sharing the same sire. We weren`t really looking to get a 2nd big dog.. but from the moment we saw him and found out he had blue eyes i wanted him. We were a little worried about the impact of 2 large dogs with the small one we already had.. but our worries were unfounded the 2 bigguns can play as rough as they like and usually leave the littlun out of it (much to her relief) He is a big kissy dope of a boy but again has issues around other dogs when out.. i think this was learnt from his sister.

Noah
    [​IMG]
  14. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    does kai fancy living in london with me;-) ;-) hes gorgeous:007:
  15. D&Q

D&Q New Member

Name:
    Shell
    hi, i have never posed on here before, but liked this thread:grin: :grin: It got to be the Ute for me, i have always loved wolves and am a lover of the GSD and owned them for years. When i first saw the Utonagan about 5 years ago they took my breath away and i knew then i had to have one some day.I now have 2 and they make me laugh and smile everyday.
    This is Diesel, he is easily the most sweetest natured dog i have ever owned. A total honey :grin: :grin:
    [​IMG]

and this is Quinn my 7 month old pup. The mischief just pours out of him lol but he a big mammy,s boy. From the minute i saw a pic of him at just days old i knew he was coming home with me :lol:
    [​IMG]
  16. lainyb

lainyb New Member

Name:
    elaine
    First time postin on ere, so be gentle!!!!!:grin: :grin:

I have a 5 month old Utonagan called Kayno (he does have a few other well apt names also).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is the cheekiest wee sod and always pushin his luck, i'm forever findin half eatin socks and loo rolls everywhere:lol: :lol: but in the next moment he is a big sook and defo a mummys boy.
  17. lainyb

lainyb New Member

Name:
    elaine
    I see freya has the same position in your caravan as my ute n collie do....keep hintin to OH that i need a static but its fallin on deaf ears:roll: :roll:
  18. lainyb

lainyb New Member

Name:
    elaine
    You asked why I chose the Ute over the other wolfalike breeds out there.......Thats an easy one I feel as if the breed chose me!!!!:grin: :grin:

My OH has always liked the wolf since a young child and said he had seen some dogs about (somewhere) that were wolfy lookin.....well as he is a totally illiterate (sp) on a computer it was left to me to trawl the net and look for wolfy lookin dogs:grin: :grin: My 1st love was always the gsd as i grew up with them and tried (in vain) to talk him into gettin one.

I stumbled across the Ute by pure chance just over a year ago and got to see alot of these dogs at a local dog show (and NI's) .....and from that moment I was smitten. I was fortunate to watch and experience 1st hand a young bitch growing up from a young pup into a crazy teenager and i just loved her nature and her temprement IMO was just what we were both lookin for.

There isnt a day goes by that I dont have a laugh at the antics of my Ute pup, he drives me mental sometimes to and me old border collie is about to pack his bags n head off to Dogs Trust:lol: :lol:
  19. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Northern Inuit dogs, lots of em, why, because I love em, They arent particularly obedient, we dont do agility or obedience, we dont do great at shows, mainly because i dont practise enough lol, they are my constant companions and my best mates, each has their own unique character and funny little quirks which only adds to the attraction, we spend hours tramping the bogs, finding dead things which are immediately rolled in, not by me, i might add. I originally got my first as a pressie for my OH but he soon became my boy. Heres a few random pics of a few of my loonies
    [​IMG]
  20. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I chose a Utonoagan almost 5 years ago because I loved everything about them - the purported health, temperament, spirit ... everything..

Sadly I would not have another one because although I adore my dog with my whole being, he suffers from epilepsy, it is in his lines and so is Addison's and VWD. I no longer have confidence as to the health of the breed and could not go through what we go through again. I don't mean to offend anyone but there is nobody I trust in the breed either.

Still, I adore my dog and here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. lainyb

lainyb New Member

Name:
    elaine
    I must admit the pup was always supposed to be my OH's but he is definately a mummys boy now (much to OH disgust), but its me that is takin him to trainin classes n shows......if someone had told me a year ago i would be doin all that i wouldve told them they had a screw loose, but i love it!!!!!

There was a while there before my other half finally decided on the ute breed that he was swayin towards the NI they are stunnin lookin dogs, but what did sway it for us was there was a few utonagan owners in our local area and they let us get to know there dogs.

I could look at doggy pics awe day:grin: :grin: