Would it be too hot in New England to have a Samoyed? Health

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Gabriela R., Jun 8, 2015.

1. Gabriela R.

Gabriela R. New Member

Name:
    Gabriela

Would it be too hot in New England to have a Samoyed?

At the end of the summer I will be purchasing a dog. I would love to purchase a Samoyed, however I am not sure if our summers here will be too hot. I live on an Island and temperatures average about 80 degrees in the summer. My home is air conditioned and being an island there is generally a nice breeze. I live within walking distance from the water and go out on the boat and to the beach a lot. Do Samoyeds tend to dislike the water? I have a friend who has a Bernese Mountain dog and she takes a towel and soaks it in water and puts it over the dog to cool him down or puts up an umbrella for him. I don't mind doing these things if it will make the dog happy, the extra effort is not my concern. I just wouldn't want the dog to become ill because of the heat.

Thank You!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I know nothing about Samoyeds but I do have a Shar-Pei which is a breed that doesn't do well in heat. Where I live in Hungary temperatures can vary from 80 to 100+F in summer and I don't have air con in my house or much shade outside in the garden, but despite that we seem to manage quite well. I walk her early in the morning and late evening when its cooler. For the rest of the day she usually finds a bush to shelter under or will lie on the cool tiles in the kitchen. The most important thing is to make sure a dog doesn't overheat for example, by taking it on a long a walk in the heat particularly on hot pavements which can burn their paws. There should always be plenty of fresh cold water available both at home and whilst you're out..Neither of my dogs like getting wet and in any case there's nowhere nearby for them to swim even if they did. Once the temperature gets to 70F I no longer take my dogs out in the car. (You can also buy cooler jackets and mats which is something I'm considering buying for her) Basically, it's all a matter of using your common sense!

Georgina keeping cool under the hedge!
    SAM_0874.JPG
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

There is no reason why a Samoyed should not be able to cope with hot weather, just use common sense, like the things you suggested, no dog what ever its breed should be walked in extreme heat, always better to do it early morning or early evenings when the sun is not as hot, find shade for the dog to lay in, cool places around your home, and you should be fine.

Do NOT be tempted to clip the coat off in hot weather, the dogs coat is designed to keep it warm in winter and cool in the summer, to many people think its a good idea to clip the coat off a coated breed in the summer, by doing this you are talking the dogs natural temperature regulator away from him.

They are lovely dogs , as long as you dont mind the shedding.................. they shed A LOT !!
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Gabriela R. likes this.
    And bark a lot too!

Absolutely beautiful dogs, I love them.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Gabriela R. likes this.
    If you are going to be taking out on a boat, get the pup used to it early on. The more you expose a puppy to what life will throw at them as they grow, the more they accept it provided the introduction to novel things is done sensibly
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    They should be fine. You want to use good sense as you would with any dog. With A/C you should certainly not have an issue. If you are going on boat when it's hot have plenty of drinking water and you can use cool water on his/her feet or tummy. Having shade would help a lot too. My Caucasian Ovcharka survived just fine when I lived in desert like summer climate. They have double coat and lots of hair but it was all okay.