Yorkshire Terrier help please (Sorry long post) Health

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Terrier' started by morganstar, Oct 7, 2009.

1. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie

Yorkshire Terrier help please (Sorry long post)

Hi I need some advice please,
    My cousin has a 17 month old yorkie with numerous problems.
    Firstly he has normal sized parents but hasnt grown and is a small as a tea cup Yorkie.
    When he has is first vaccinations he had a fit, and fully recovered, later it was discovered he'd retained his puppy teeth and the vet wants to remove them under an GA.
    He's been for a booster today and they've found he only has one testical so there suggesting romoving the other at the same timea as the teeth.
    Alfie also coughs occasionally (one or two times aday at the most) after examining him he coughed once and the vet diagnosed a trachae problem, I'm aware the breed suffer from this, but to be honest the vets terrifiesd my cousins (its there 1st dog). Said he had access muscles in his throat and if it gets any worse will have to have a major operation !!!!!!
    My cousins distraught, she rang back to get some idea of the costs and they said they'd need to do a consultation on the dog which will cost £45 (by the way the boosters were done and most of this diagnosis happened today)
    My questions are

1) Anyone have any problems with Yorkies after boosters (they've been told he'll be very drowsy for a couple of days.....my 8 week old Welshie I had jagged last week sailed through it)
    2) Anyone heard of this condition with the trachae, ive done a search and all I can find is loosening of the muscles not thickening and that can be treated with steriods and broncodilitors.
    3) Could you diagnose either of these conditions by just looking at the dog and hearing it cough once.

By the way there insured, and the vets they use is one of these generic surgeries that are popping up everywhere offering cheap boosters and flea treatments.
    Thank you all
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. annmarie

annmarie New Member

Name:
    annmarie
    change vets asap i say a second opinion is in order but thats me lol

not funny tho if vet is taking the p***
  4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    She's actually booked into my vets early next week.
    It just baffles me they can diagnose he needs a serious operation without a scan or xray
  5. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Hi my Yorkie who passed away a year ago retained her teeth, so when they were taken out she was speyed at the same time. She did cough now and then but nothing to bother us, she was also alot smaller than her mum.
    We never had problems after yearly injections, perhaps a little quiet that evening but no biggie.
  6. Emma

Emma New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Go for a second opinion, sometimes vets can be a bit blunt and that can scare us I would be taking what the vet said with a grain of salt and know that is one extreme and there are many different things it could be from minor to serious, but yes would be finding a second opinion
  7. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I would also try a different vet.

It would be worth contacting a Yorkshire Terrier breed club who could advise you of any health issues and maybe give you some advice.
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    thank you all, off to contact YT club
  9. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Sorry, only just seen this.
    My Yorkie has a collapsing trachea.....not sure if thats the same thing this little guy has?
    He's never had a prob with injections, or retaining teeth, but Yorkies are sometimes known for bad teeth!
  10. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    A collapsing trachea is quite common in Yorkshire Terriers and most sm. breed dogs do not keep their teeth long unless they are on a good kibble and cleaned regularly.

My yorkie that died last yr. at age 14 was quite healthy but did lose quite a few teeth at 12 yrs old.

If this Vet is used to working with small animals, he may know what he is talking about but I would still get another opinion. Do let us know how it goes for your cousin's little guy.
  11. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Also I would like to mention that with a small dog like a yorkie to always use a harness rather than a collar because of the chance of trachea problems.