New frenchie with behaviour problems! Behaviour

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by JoannaE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo

New frenchie with behaviour problems!

Hi Everyone,
    We have recently adopted a 1 year old frenchie called Archie. He's only been with us 2 weeks.
    When we first met Archie in a park with his previous owner he showed no signs of aggression at all. Since he has been with us, he has become aggressive when people approach him. He has improved slightly when people come to the house. If they give him a treat he tends to like them! But when we are out walking, if anybody approaches him he barks and lunges towards them. He is fine walking past people, just if they go to stroke him. Occasionally them giving him a treat works but not always. He also goes crazy if he is close to other dogs. The bigger they are the louder he barks!
    He is so loving towards us (my partner, my 2 children and me) so I'm assuming its protective behaviour? I think we are going to end up seeking out a professional for help but just thought I'd see if anybody has any tips?
    Thanks in advance
    Jo xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Jo, welcome to Breedia to you and Archie from Tikva and me :039:

I can not give you any advice - there are far more expert people on the forum than I, but Archie has been with you such a short time so everything is new to him. New home, new family, new surroundings, lots of new things for him to get used to, and it will take him a bit of time to get used to everything.

It does not sound like protective behaviour, more that he is still unsure of where he is and why, and maybe he is worried that the people he meets when you are taking him for walks, are going to take him to yet another new place?

Please let us know how he gets on, and please may we have some photographs of him!

Juli
  4. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Hi Juli! Thanks for your reply, I'm really hoping it is just settling in, he's certainly not going anywhere so hopefully once he realises that he may settle. There is nothing I like more than taking pics of him so I will certainly send a few!
    Thanks again for the lovely welcome!
    Jo x 20190521_154004.jpg
  5. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo
    20190527_192644.jpg

Attached Files:

6. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Aww - Archie is very cute and certainly very relaxed in his new home by the way he is sleeping. Do you crate him at night or has he wormed his way into your bed - Tikva sleeps in a crate in my bedroom but my previous two slept on my bed.

Is the second picture close to you? It looks like a lovely place to take him for a walk.

Do you know much about his background and why his previous owners gave him up?

Anyhow, do stick around, there are quite a few Frenchies on Breedia and as I said, far more knowledgeable people than I, who will be able to answer any questions you might have. :)
  8. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo
    He sleeps on his bed but in our room, he slept on his previous owners bed so that's good enough for me! He sneaks in for a cuddle just as we are waking up! He's doing so well with toileting/sleeping etc. His last owner broke up with a partner and had to move to a new home where pets weren't allowed :-( she was very sad to lose him.
    Yeah that's near us, getting him has made us realise how lucky we are as there are a few nice walks nearby.
    I love your dogs name, really unusual!
    I will wait for some more replies about his behaviour, thanks again x
  9. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    JoannaE likes this.
    Absolutely love that picture!
  10. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    JoannaE likes this.
    Most people tend to forget (and it's mainly non dog owners) that to dogs humans pretty much tower over them, which is quite intimidating and can be perceived as a threat. So perhaps if you see someone approach who may want to stop and talk/stroke your dog, you could maybe stop yourself and hold Archie still, then explain they need to crouch down to the dog's level first and offer a hand out while you gently, but firmly hold his lead so he can't lunge at them. All the while trying to remain calm and relaxed, as your nerves can be sensed by him through the lead and he naturally wants to protect you from what he sees as a threat!
    Some dogs I encounter on walks are great off the lead but are nasty on. And from what I can see, that's because they are not in control of their own movement if they sense danger, so can't engage fight or flight mode if something happens.
    This is only from what I've experienced though.
    I hope this in some way helps?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  11. JoannaE

JoannaE New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Hiya thanks for your reply :)
    I have tried this a couple of times with different people. It does seem to make him react slightly better if they are at his level, but still barks and lunges if I let him :/
    He is definitely a lot more relaxed off the lead. We've taken him to places where hardly one goes and I can see a long way in the distance to let him off and you can see he feels a lot better. Just can't try that with people around just incase.
    Will keep trying and hopefully he will calm! Treats have been the most successful option, I give the person wanting to stroke him one and he'll sit for that straight away! Sometimes that's the end of it and he's ok, but other times he goes straight back to barking. I always make sure he's stopped barking and calm ish before they give him the treat. I dont want him to think if he barks at people he will get one!
  12. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    JoannaE likes this.
    Yeah it takes a lot of work and a lot of patience, but you'll get there.