Siberian Husky Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Markie Paige, Dec 18, 2017.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    That is not what I was implying, just pointing out that the myth that Wolves fight for Alpha, is not true.
    Personally I find it totally irresponsible to allow or condone dogs fighting to determine dominance (or for any other reason.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    I don't really condone it seeing those aren't my dogs in the video. My males already know who the top dog is. The Alpha male is Tyson Alpha female is Maliki but it's more Maliki as what she says goes none of them are over me so I guess it's beta female and beta male lol. Mine have tried to fight for position of the betas we will call them but it never works out for a couple of reason the beta pair keep it together and it's easier to let them do it and not hurt each other then be gone and they kill each other because you won't let them do what their instincts are telling them to do. I own seven huskies this isn't a new ball game for me. Sometimes just because we has humans see it wrong doesn't mean that it's wrong in the animal kingdom. Mine don't ever hurt each and they just find the dominance in the pack hasn't happened in about a 1 year as half because they have it figured out. I'm also getting ready to add a male and female to my pack of seven but they should fit right in under their parents no problem there.
    Once you get to three huskies you have an established pack the first male and female you get normally take the beta role. That being said I keep a happy home with seven Beautiful huskies who want nothing more them to lick your face and get fur all over your black clothes lol
    My parents always told me huskies where not normal you can't treat them like a lab or even a GSD because they arent. That being said my training is different with huskies then in many dogs because frankly they are different you won't understand until you own a few or just one to see what I'm saying it's different. I work with them constantly all day training and working with a few breaks. I know the breed I'm talking about and how to handle them in which they don't become complete and absolute messes in society people can approach them with no worry of getting jumped on or mauled by them when they are crazy.
    GSDs aw my second favorite breed
  4. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    You can see they are going only for the thick neck fur, one even has the others foot in its mouth and purposefully lets it go. Had this been a real fight those toes would have came right off without a doubt. It looked rough but they were still respecting the rules so to speak.

Husky wrestling at its finest, nothing more. Each need to know the order in which they rank, and both will feel calmer knowing it, well until the next time lol
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    When I first started out in dogs the ‘Pack Leader/Alpha/beta theory didn’t exist (thank goodness) so i've never been a believer in it, now any unwanted behaviour is classed as dog being dominant or alpha.

Modern studies of feral and village dogs living semi wild suggest, there are in fact no alpha/ highest ranking dog, and there is no evidence that groups of dogs, either domestic or feral, have any kind of hierarchy of this nature and that it is simply no longer a valid concept
  6. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    That is so true. They are really intense about the pack order thing. It gets a lot calmer once they figure out which one is the boss so to speak. It just flows. :)
  7. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Those studies might of changed to make people happy. I can see a chain of command in my huskies it's very visible no questions asked.
    I respect the fact you don't believe in it. That's fine.
    The classification of that is wrong also the pack alpha or dominant dog is to take care of the others. Shelter, food, when they get out of line that's the job of an Alpha for some reason people have it planned in their heads that Alphas are mean and cruel but that isn't so. Do they fight fir order yes they do is it pretty no but the only time they act that way is when being challenged for placement in the pack no other time do they act that way. Unless of course another pack is on their territory which ruffles their feathers.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Quote Those studies might of changed to make people happy
    Why on earth would they do that? The concept of Alfa came from studies done on captive wolfs and have since been renounced by the scientists who performed them and drew their original conclusions.
    Sadly it led to a lot of dog behaviour being misunderstood and owners taught to take charge and become the leader of the pack, or alpha over their dog.
    Wolf biologists no longer even use the term alpha with wild wolf packs.

Quote) the pack alpha or dominant dog is to take care of the others. Shelter, food, when they get out of line that's the job of an Alpha for some reason people have it planned in their heads that Alphas are mean and cruel but that isn't so
    I don’t see the term ‘Alpha as being cruel or mean I see it as ‘bullying’ behaviour.
    I am responsible for my dogs' behavior/needs.
    I control when my dogs eat, pee, poop, play, where they sleep, where they walk, when they have free time etc:
    Yes ive had dogs that tried to push their luck, or test boundaries but I didn’t label or excuse it by using the dominant/alpha label, instead I worked on fixing the behavior, which could be caused for a number of reasons.

Do they fight fir order yes they do is it pretty no but the only time they act that way is when being challenged for placement in the pack no other time do they act that way.

So what happens if neither dog submits?