Advice on pulling Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

Advice on pulling

Hi again!:) I would like to learn how to train Mila to pull things. Im not gonna enter any sports like that. Just simply pulling the kids around in the sled for fun & fun for Mila:) I've been reading up on this but would like to hear from someone thats actually done this with their dog(s). Any tips on buying a harness, training...ect? TIA!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank u so much for the info!:) I did just purchase an X back harness on ebay today so when it comes in I'll put it on her & walk her around in it. Get her used to the feel of it. Then get a tree branch or a heavy chain & have her start with that. My oldest son is gonna be 8yrs next Saturday & he weighs 60lbs. My younger 2 boys r close to 40lbs. I shall take it slow & easy!;) we r expected to get snow here in western PA this week so perfect timing for sledding!:D i wasn't sure of the commands u give them but thanx for that info! Now is that something u need to keep repeating in order for her to understand that haw is left...ect?
  5. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Yes you can train it on a everyday leash. Let her walk in front of you say Haw! And turn her leash left. Then tell her to straighten out( makes the line go straight and tight) and move her back to the middle. Just tell her good girl dont do treats. If you out treats in the will expect it on the trail. Then tell her Gee! To turn right walk for maybe a minute and do it again Haw! Left pull your leash left then Straighten out! Go start on a tight line as your walking then Gee! To turn right. Do it for about six times during training. Then when you take her out to go potty on the leash use the same commands to tell her where you want to go. Once you get the basics let me know and we can move it up to advanced. It shouldn't take very long all of huskies are taught at a very young age the mushing commands and how to do them. Do consistently for a month before hooking her up to Anything. I train mine on a leash and a horse lunge line that's 30ft and then 50ft lunge line. So I know they know it. Lots of training and consistency and it should go great.
    In the off season all reinforce the commands not that they will forget them because they won't but because it keeps them on their toes. Biking with them with these commands works wonderful. I have snow now in MO :)
  6. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Awesome! Thanx!:) I just took her out to go potty & said Hike loudly & boy she took off!:D lol i seriously believe they have a natural instinct for those commands! So i will definitely do what u said for training the commands. I use a retractable leash when we go outside. I will keep u posted on the training!:)

So how long have u been working with huskies? I miss Zeus (the husky I once owned) but I love Mila :D malamutes r definitely different than huskies:) lol
  7. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    A few drinks and lots of self confidence always works for me!
  8. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Well I've worked with huskies my whole life. My parents showed them. I worked with them from a very young age. Started showing myself around 9 through AKC. I moved out of AKC showing to ACA when my parents bought me my first husky. I was showing theirs lol then about two and half months after that I got another one. My parents said it was alright since my training with my first husky went so smoothly. Tyson my second one I got from a shelter was also extremely easy to train. Then I went searching for another one Polar about six months later my parents huskies had puppies and I also kept one of those puppies Wynter. I got a training degree when I was twenty from graduating from training school. I have been training huskies ever since officially lol I've always trained them my whole life. I moved out of my parents house and within a year I have gotten three huskies Siku, Sly, and Duke. All trained. I also raced a few times once when I was 17 and another time when I 19 I wasn't racing for placement just to see how my dogs matched up with other racers. First race was terrible second race wasnt terrible at all. I'm racing again in another year or so just have to get ten trained huskies I really want to do the long run. Hahaha it's a two day race.
    I've been around a few Malamutes the last one I had any interaction with was a friend's of mine I groomed it and trained it. Jumped all over me I wasn't happy told my friend not to bring him back tell that stops. The Malamute was bigger and taller then me jumping up and left horrible scratches on my back. Not fun. But I have meet others that were much nicer and very well trained :)
  9. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Neat story!:) Mila jumps too but I am working on her with that;) she wasn't worked with at all from the girl i bought her from. Mila has come quite a ways tho:)
  10. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    That's good!!! :) I love Malamutes to they are just big fluffy bears lol I think they are unique in personality. Everyone thinks they act like a husky but they don't lol that got me the first time I saw one. Oh look it's like a husky start playing with it and messing with it's not. Lol they have some similarities stubborn being one of them lol
  11. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Lol oooh yes malamutes ARE alot different than huskies! :) i discovered that when I got Mila. Zeus (my husky) was very high strung & always wanted to go go go! Mila gets like these spurts of energy & then not to long, shes pooped out!:D lol my kids can run laps around her! :005:but yes malamutes are definitely different than huskies:) they even look a little different too. Waiting for my new harness to arrive then training will begin!:D
  12. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Yeah Malamutes have this big head with a not go go go personality lol
    I can't wait I love training it gives me lots of Joy! :) Wears me out but is lots of fun!! :) What color did you get???
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    She has the big knot on her head too! I've always called that the bump of knowledge! Lol I love the training too! Its been going good so far. She tried to bite at the harness but after correcting her a few times she leaves it alone...mostly!:D lol. I got the harness off eBay...its red:D. Next time I'm outside with her I'll TRY to get a nice picture of her in it!:D shes tough to get a good picture of! Lol like my kids!:D so I've been letting her get used to wearing it so now Ill get her hooked up to a sled & put maybe a small log in it to have her drag around the snow:)
  14. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    Hi,

No advice as such as im still learning myself to get Everest to pull....but it is lots of fun trying. As you might see.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh that did give me a smile! Thank you !
  16. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Lol awwe that is too cute!:D it has been too bitter cold to have my kiddos outside here so I haven't had a chance to hook Mila up to the sled to pull them around:) but as its snowing heavy here now & now above freezing maybe tomorrow I can get the kids & dog out in the snow!:D
  17. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    We don't get the snowfall i would like here, next item on my shopping list is some form of small seated cart....might even get one for the kids too.