Is tap water safe ? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My bear Yoji, Aug 18, 2018.

1. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa

Is tap water safe ?

i was wondering what everyone’s views are on the type of water you give to your dogs
    Considering there is chlorine in our tap water is it ok for dogs or should it be filtered ?
    We have a flowing river close by and he loves to drink from it, could I give him a fresh bowl of that each day
    Am I overly worrying ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have always given mine tap water, I reckon if it’s good enough for me then its ok for them.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I also always give tap water. If Tikva [and Pereg before her] can eat raw I do not think that tap water could harm them. Not for me though as one of the purifying agents in tap water is an allergen [it also tastes horrible] so I drink [and cook with] mineral water. I have a water machine [like an office cooler] and have containers delivered every four weeks.

It is also handy for very cold or very hot water, the latter being ideal for coffee or tea, especially as I cannot lift a kettle any more.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I do use tap water, but agree, some days you can smell the chlorine. On those days we draw a 2 litre jugful and let it stand for a couple of hours before putting it in their dish. I found this tip when I was reading up about spay incontinence. I used to have a Brita filter, but the jug didn't hold enough, and I found it expensive replacing the cartridges as often as they recommend. The Beagles usually drink rainwater from a bucket outdoors, and I don't stop them from drinking from clean ponds or flowing streams on their walks.