Why won't my Shih Tzu cuddle? Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by cjungblom, Sep 5, 2018.

1. cjungblom

cjungblom New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Why won't my Shih Tzu cuddle?

I just got a new shih Tzu. He is about 3 months old and I have had him since the 26th of August. I know he is still a puppy but I have a few questions lol I have never raised a puppy from this young.

Firstly, he won't cuddle with me haha. I play with him and he eats and drinks and when he is worn out he goes and lays on the tile or goes finds a hole to hide in but even if I pick him up and lay him next to me when he's tired he won't stay he always gets up and walks away somewhere else to lay down.

The other, older, shih tsu we have won't leave us alone and is ALWAYS trying to be by our side.

Secondly, he doesn't respond to his name yet. This one I understand more because he is so new. No big deal.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    He is a baby. He does not know that that you are his Dada and does not know how to behave around you. And he still does know that you call him is his name, nor where he is supposed to sleep.

Please give him time.

I have a little one who had to be bottle fed, then weaned, and over three years later she will not do cuddles unless she wants to. But instinctively she knew the play bow when she wanted to play.

Go work that one out!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Another thought - do you think that maybe he thinks that you expect him to be a replacement for your older Shih Tsu?

Please give him time. He is a young puppy with so much to learn. As far as he is concerned he has been taken from his Momma to a strange place and all he really knows is how to eat, drink, and sleep.

And maybe he is not getting as much sleep as he needs.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Was the puppy reared in a house of in a kennel?
    It is common for kennel staff to call litters by the generic baby call of, 'pup, pup', or, ''puppy, puppy', and your Shih Tzu could well respond to this. Puppies reared in a house have usually had much more individual attention, and catch on faster. It means nothing to him at present, but he should get used to it quickly if you use it to call him for his meals, and reward him with a tiny high-value treat every time he does come to you at other times. At first, only use his name with good associations - not to call him for ear cleaning or medicine dosing!
    Re. Cuddles. It is very early and he may come to relax in your arms in time. One of my Beagles was reared in a puppy farm, (he was a rescue, I do not support puppy farms!) He is intelligent, and in his own way, loving, but he has never enjoyed being cuddled. He will lean, and even sleep against you, and loves to be stroked, but his need is to feel unrestained. I accept this, but I am not a hugger myself, so can empathise with him.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just thinking - yes, I bred Griffons but I was not a BYB - checked and registered with the UK KC Club with all that had to go through on on those days through. But my pups, born in my living room next to me sleeping next to me, had their names from their day of birth. Even if I was not sure which one was which but they knew. No coloured ribbons either. They just knew who they were.

And the words Tikva learned was her name, which meant "come here wherever you are [lUnder tger either whe" - "mind" which meant out of the way as I am going to reverse/move, and "move" which means "getta outta de de way".
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    One day I will learn to spell... one day. Tikva learned that it was her name and "come here wherever you even if you are stuck under the refrigerator" or at least "where the 'eck are you" she - she learned "

It took me a lot longer than it took her.

And she still is not not a cuddle pup.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Not all dogs are cuddle monsters. Some just like to chill out.

My girl loves to sit on my knee when we are out and about, but rarely cuddles up at home.

I don't mind that. She feels secure enough to sleep at the end of the sofa so that's good enough for me. She likes to sit on my knee when we are out. My guess is that that's because there are a lot of big dogs around and she feels more secure on my knee. That's fine too.

Getting to know their name takes time. They don't speak our language, but do learn to decipher it. She'll get to know her name over time if you keep using it
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would love my little Tikki to be a cuddle pup but she is not and never will be. Her choice, her decision. But after climbing all over when I neen a nappy nap she will cuddle up to my back, so I am grateful for that.

All puppies are different and they all different times to learn things. And they all need to understand that the sounds we make are love.