Should I be concerned with puppies weight? Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Fishy Fishayy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Fishy Fishayy

Fishy Fishayy New Member

Name:
    EMILY

Should I be concerned with puppies weight?

I have a 17 week old female Bernese Mountain dog i have had since she was 13 weeks. When i first got her she weighed 21 lbs. Now at 17 weeks she only weights 22 lbs. I have been feeding her 2 cups (Suggested by vet) a day of Purina pro plan puppy food along with lots of treats. She is very active, happy, and plays non stop with my Lab. Her legs have gotten longer but that seems to be about it. Should i be concerned about her weight? Should i feed her more or get a higher calorie adult dog food? I can't find much around about a Bernese weighting so little at her age. 7cJgCjhWQcC2gOIk94ccog.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    Personally, I'd check back with your vet.

1 lb in 5 weeks sounds a lot less weight gain than I'd expect in a pup so young.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and My bear Yoji like this.
    She is a very sweet looking puppy, but is very light for her breed. I'm a bit hesitant to say this, but are you sure that she is purebred? Her head is narrower than I would expect a Bernese puppy to have, which gives her a Collie - ish look.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I tend to agree with @CaroleC about her possibly not being purebred. But I do not agree with your vet about her food. At 17 weeks old she should still be having three meals a day of an appropriate food. Probably a food specific for large breed puppies, although I do not know much about puppy kibble but there are many Breedia members who do.

And "lots of treats" is like giving a human toddler "lots of sweeties" so they are getting calories but not proper vitamins from the food they actually do eat.

Regarding her food "suggested by vet" - does the vet sell the food?
  6. Helen56

Helen56 New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I know this thread hasn’t been used in a while but could I ask what sort of area your Bernese come from thank you