Tikva was a bit poorly Health

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Tikva was a bit poorly

Not like Vet necessary poorly but still a bit worrying.

Tikki's evening "wet" meal is due at ~8pm so I usually make sure everything is out ready. That includes all her vitamins, minerals, and other supplements, plus her meat and vegetables. But she came in [she had been out most of the day, just coming in for a snooze at times] around 7.30pm, scriggled her nest to her satisfaction, and went to sleep.

I do not mind - not sticking to her 10am brekki or her evening mind - she gets when she asks for them - usually plus/minus half an hour - she will tell me when she is ready. So when she started to get up I thought OK, time for pee and then dins. Opened the door and she shot out and started retching. Only a bit of yellow foam - rare for her but nothing to worry about. Came back in and straight onto/into her nest.

9pm, and hour late for her supper, she went out for another pee then did her usual, sitting on the end of the couch nearest the doorway to the rest of the bungalow and at the opposite end from her her nest - but because she had thrown up I did not want to give her a full meal, so she flonked in her nest for another doze.

And then she came and sat beside me, asking, only I did not want to give her a full meal as it getting late, so I gave her a small bowl of the dehydrated raw food [takes just a few minutes to re-hydrate. Just meat, vegetables and fruit - NO additives - I keep packs for emergencies] and she scoffed it. Came asking for more but got the usual forty-two from me, so I got the stink-eye and she went back to her nest.

Out for a pee when I told her to, wanting to put her [then me] to bed, she had half a small bikki for when she goes into her crate, then she slept until gone 9am this morning, even though I had been up for hours and she must have heard me. Anyhow, she had her brekki as normal [a frozen chikki flapper] when she asked for it, and seems OK, but she will not let me move without following me, which is not like her. She is just rather clingy - not wanting me to move without her.

We all know our dogs and we know if they are acting differently - and Tikki is a bit restless. Definitely not in pain, just a bit unusual for her. Maybe I am being over-sensitive because of Pereg?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Has she passed a normal poo?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Absolutely as normal. As soon as I let her out of her crate in the morning she rushes into the salon waiting for me to get to the door, clip on her tether and let her out. Then it is a big pee and then the usual small poo. No different this morning. She did another poo after her brekki - small poo as usual.

I originally bought this dehydrated food for emergencies, ie in case someone had to look after her [I can give the Pension raw food that I have frozen as they have a freezer where they can keep it if she had to be kenneled - actually in that case I would give them some of this dehydrated as well] but I have also given it to her as a whole meal [which it is] when, tbh, I have not felt well enough to sort out her evening dindins - but she has only had it maybe twice? I am happy with the contents and she is more than happy with the taste and I am happy with the ingredients. No way would I give it to her if I was not happy - I am a raw feeder so no kibble or tinned food, but this is dehydrated raw food. I used to keep a couple of tins of dog food for emergencies and Tikki was quite happy, but they stank and she did horrible poos. And farted a lot. Never again.

Until now I have only been able to get Beef or Turkey [same vegetables and fruit] but iHerb are now supplying another different make, Turkey or chicken. As yet I have not given Tikki any as it only arrived at the end of last week but like the other one the ingredients are fine. I will try some but in the meantime if she stays OK I will just keep it for emergencies.

If Tikki is still OK by the evening I might give her her usual meat and veggies supper but if I am still worried I know that I can always give her a small bowl of re-hydrated food.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like a bit of belly ache to me. Just a case of poo watch as well as everything else watch for a while xx
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I did give Tikki the usual "fank you mommy" multi vitamin/mineral, hip and joint, pre and pro biotic chew pills yesterday evening - she thinks they are sweeties. Do Not Ask but after four years of having to give Pereg x number of pills three times a day, squished in a bit of cheese triangles, if I ask Tik if it is "fank you mommy time" - zoom because she thinks they are sweeties. Sweeties being the four tiny treats she gets if I am going across to the macolet.

She has "fank you" things after I have made up her evening wet meal but before I put her bowl down. Originally it was to teach her to wait but it worked so why knock it? I have never used treats as such to teach her what I want - definitely never to teach her her recall [which is wonderful] - that was automatic with her although how she learned her name almost instantly I will never know.

Do not forger she has been with me since she was just three-weeks old, so I guess I spoke to her as I would to a human baby. Probably daft but she knows what I mean and it actually makes it easier for me. Hence the choo choos, brekki, dindins, chikki flappers, gobble chunks - and sweeties. And "wanna nana". :rolleyes:

Anyhow, pees and poos normal so far today - no more retching [hopefully that was not famous last words] but she is still a bit more clingy, following me everywhere.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Once upon a time, April 1989 I think, Mr "Ginger" Wilson - my daughter, who was born in March 1968 was admitted to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, Middlesex for the beginning of a long many years - she was 17 years-old and I cannot remember how many major surgeries, before she was eventually discharged. Two years after she had been at boarding school here and about three months before "Ginger" retired.

One time the ward sister deliberately left her notes in her cot, his comments after he had first seen her, at 13 months-old. And what did it say? "A fussy and over-protective mother".

Was I fussy and over-protective? If I was, I had good reason to be.

Was I fussy and over-protective of Pereg? No. She and I, with the wonderful cope with her epilepsy, gave her a full life until it was the time to give her peace.

So yes, I am probably rather over worried about Tikva at times. I am terrified that The Monster is trying to get in.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry everyone - missed sleep means missed words and a mess up of words. Including a lot I forget to type.

But yes, I do tend to be over worried about Tikva - I love her and worry about her if something is not normal.

I hope you can understand this.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    You wouldn't be human if you didn't worry about her Juli and we wouldn't be human if we didn't understand.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    After everything from so many years ago, I remember so well Ginger Wilson saying to her "Avigail, I never want to see you again" 16 years after he first saw her. They used to have small padded boards on small skate wheels that the little ones in full body casts could be put on, face down, and paddle around with their hands, and every time she saw him she would shoot under the nearest bed!

I coped with all that, including my divorce, thanks to his support. He promised me she would walk before she went to school and she did.

That is like the support I had from Ram about Pereg. We both knew that her time would probably be short and she could never be cured, but I always had Ram to support me and keep her going.

Tikva is a funny little girl and is, as Ram says, cute. And I love her so yes I am probably over-protective and worry too much.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva is now curled up on the sleeping pad in her crate.

She was late asking for her evening dins so I only gave her her vits/supplements etc, and a small amount of the dehydrated raw food which I hydrated for her. Nowhere near the normal amount of evening meal but she seemed satisfied so I do not feel guilty. Much.

But she definitely does not have any pain - pees and poos normally - so I guess I am, as Ginger Wilson said all those years ago, a fussy and over-protective mother.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I worry (and some times fret) about my dogs health too. I think maybe once you’ve had a very ill pet, or like Pereg who you were probably always hyper aware of how she was acting because of her epilepsy, it maybe hits you harder. I didn’t used to be this way, not with my first dogs or with my previous dog Hoshi. Hoshi was almost bulletproof, foxtails would hit his skin and turn sideways, never penetrating. He might have got one in his nose once but that vet couldn’t find it. But since getting Bandit and taking him to the emergency vets 12 hours after his arrival where he was diagnosed with parvovirus things have been different. And it wasn’t just the parvo... He had a hidden lingering prostate infection that inflamed his prostate and was squeezing his bladder. This caused him to be hard to house train and he also drank a huge amount of water. Right before I took him to the vets to see why he drank so much and still peed inside sometimes I’d convinced myself he had diabetes, dang google... When I took him to the vets, the vet told me prostate infections (which is what he guessed he had) are hard to treat in young dogs because the antibiotics that work the best can cause damage to their growth plates. He said some other things too that had me very scared and worried. We’d previously tested his pee to see if he had a bladder infection. Luckily the antibiotic we used just to see if it would improve his symptoms knocked out the infection. This antibiotic was one that shouldn’t damage growth plates. After watching him go thru the parvo and then hearing how hard it might be to get rid of the prostate infection and that it might damage his growth plates I was a wreck and now I’m a worrier. I didn’t used to be but now I am.... I also baby my dogs like I never did before.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Marc, when you have had a disabled child like Avigail, then the second one fell 45' head first through the Synagogue ceiling - and cope [the divorce happened when Daniel was 3 months old and that was no problem], you think you are, as you say, bullet proof. But then, just when life was going so well, fate stepped in [or rather an ice-cream wrapper at the top of a flight of stone stairs] and the rest is history.

Tikva is the reason I get up each morning, although I think I am still on seizure watch so anything strange and I am instantly on alert. I do not think that feeling will ever go. Coming up to 8.30am now and I will go and get her up soon, although I reckon she was aware of me getting up a while back but she has not yet eeped to come out of her crate.

Baby your dogs Marc - Bandit had a horrible start whereas Pereg was 2 years and 3 months old when The Monster came visiting.

Oh oh - I have just heard an eep, which means Tik wants to get up so I had better go and let her out of her crate!