Concerned new Staffy owner Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by SanFran2018, Dec 11, 2018.

1. SanFran2018

SanFran2018 New Member

Name:
    Bentley

Concerned new Staffy owner

Hi, We have an 9 week old staffy puppy, who has just started showing signs of bowing/knuckling in his right foot. We think its due to the fact that we have slippery wooden floors at home. So we have now put down mats/rug for him to have more traction on. But we are still a little worried as he hobbles a bit. We visited the vets and they have said they want to do some neurological tests. They didnt seem very familiar with Staffy's or knuckling- so i wanted to ask this groups advice. What can we do to help Bentley recover from his knuckling? Do you know if we should be exercising him- or just limiting him to the house? Thanks so much for any advice you have.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would not exercise a nine week puppy. Pottering and playing in the house and garden is plenty at this age. Do you have any photos showing your puppy doing this?
  4. Ryan Olivas

Ryan Olivas New Member

Name:
    Ryan Olivas
    I agree with Carole, let the puppy move naturally. Let the vets do the tests to know what the problem is.
  5. SanFran2018

SanFran2018 New Member

Name:
    Bentley
    Yes, here is a photo showing is right foot bowing,

Attached Files:

6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh see what you mean. Was he like this when he came to you, and what has the breeder had to say about it?
    I would definitely be guided by your vet. He is so young - you don't want to do anything that might make it worse. Be guided by the test results, and do come back and let us know what the results are. Best wishes.
  7. SanFran2018

SanFran2018 New Member

Name:
    Bentley
    Thank you. No his ankles were fine when we got him, but it came on very quickly (2 days after getting him). Thank you for your advice. we are seeing the neurologist next week. Ill update you then. thank you for your advice
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. SanFran2018

SanFran2018 New Member

Name:
    Bentley
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Super post Vee.
    Something I have had no experience of, though I had heard of cases of HOD in Danes. I recall that a minute dosage of potassium iodide was prescribed as part of the treatment, but I am going back thirty years or so, and this may well be an outdated treatment.
  11. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev
    Hi sorry to jump post.
    I’m currently in the middle of getting my first puppy! A little staffy! He’s currently 8 days old but will be getting him at 8 weeks.
    The breeders have just informed me that dad is a full staff, and mum is a staff with dobermen bloodline somewhere, as the mum of the pups mum is 3/4 staff and 1/4 dobermen, I’m worried if my little staffy pup will be grow to be a massive dog like a dobermen? Or will he likely be full staff?
    I can’t seem to find anything on the internet for this so I hope someone can help me.