Sedative advice required - please help! Behaviour

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by prb123, Dec 15, 2018.

1. prb123

prb123 New Member

Name:
    Paul

Sedative advice required - please help!

Hello everyone,

I have a 14-year-old Bichon X Miniature Poodle who has, over the last couple of years, developed intolerable separation anxiety. It has gotten worse and worse, to the point where now his behavior is very unpleasant for whomever I must occasionally leave him with.

He whimpers and whines and paces the room constantly, going to wherever he last saw me. And he barks at the door and the window, loudly and sharply.

Sometimes the unfortunate victims of this anxiety are my elderly parents, and this makes it very difficult for them to have a good night's sleep.

Another development (which has made this problem much more difficult to deal with, because he no longer responds to verbal commands) is that he has recently gone completely deaf. Therefore, now he's living in his own silent world.

So now I'm considering administering some sort of sedative before I have to leave him with anyone. Do you have any recommendations around what might work, and how I should give it to him? (He weighs about 18 pounds.) ideally, something non-prescription, reasonably priced, and easy to "slip into him".

Thank you so much for your advice! And have a great day.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. prb123

prb123 New Member

Name:
    Paul
    Hello everyone,

I have a 14-year-old Bichon X Miniature Poodle who has, over the last couple of years, developed intolerable separation anxiety. It has gotten worse and worse, to the point where now his behavior is very unpleasant for whomever I must occasionally leave him with.

He whimpers and whines and paces the room constantly, going to wherever he last saw me. And he barks at the door and the window, loudly and sharply.

Sometimes the unfortunate victims of this anxiety are my elderly parents, and this makes it very difficult for them to have a good night's sleep.

Another development (which has made this problem much more difficult to deal with, because he no longer responds to verbal commands) is that he has recently gone completely deaf. Therefore, now he's living in his own silent world.

So now I'm considering administering some sort of sedative before I have to leave him with anyone. Do you have any recommendations around what might work, and how I should give it to him? (He weighs about 18 pounds.) ideally, something non-prescription, reasonably priced, and easy to "slip into him".

Thank you so much for your advice! And have a great day.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I am so sorry for your old boy. It is very sad to see their senses starting to fail, and it is understandable that they would find having to spend time alone upsetting. Having said that, I would not suggest giving a sedative to a dog of this age unless it had been recommended by a vet. There could be so many other things going on in the body or the mind at this age.
    You can get the Adaptil diffusers and collars, which are safe to use, and give off a comforting pheromone vapour. I can't say how effective this would be, they do seem to work better for some dogs than others. I would be inclined to have a chat with your vet and see what they can suggest which might improve your boy's quality of life.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have replied on your other thread.