Allergy Issues- Irish Wolfhound Health

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by SarahJane1452, Mar 16, 2018.

1. SarahJane1452

SarahJane1452 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    acwisch likes this.

Allergy Issues- Irish Wolfhound

Hey everyone! First time Irish Wolfhound owner so I'm hoping someone can help me out! My boy Guster is 11 months old and we're having what my vet suspects is food allergies. Gus has always had issues with loose stool (got him at 10 weeks) and as he's gotten older, he's started to have ear issues and now has pink skin/irritation around his eyes. Never been able to find an actual ear infection, but his ears are bright pink and look angry and they clearly itch.
    He's a picky guy and getting him to eat the full 8 cups+ he's supposed to eat a day has been a challenge from the get go. Now that we're trying a food trial to confirm it's food allergies, I can barely get him to eat 3-4 cups a day because I can't add anything in to entice him to eat. So I have a couple questions... In general, anyone else had this problem/have any suggestions? I've always had mastiffs who would eat anything, so a dog I have to jump through hoops to get to eat is a new experience. Since Gust is still young and growing, I'm starting to get concerned because he's lost 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks since starting the food trial. Has anyone else had food allergy issues with an IW? Any suggestions on food? I've kept in touch with his breeder since I brought him home and no suggestions/she hasn't had issues with this in the past. Guster and I thank you all in advance! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. acwisch

acwisch New Member

Name:
    Anna
    Good Morning! Have you found a solution for your boy? Our one year Wolfie is having similar problems, started around 8 months. The allergy meds and prescription meds the doctor gave us really are not working.

Anna
  4. Wheatonwolfiemom

Wheatonwolfiemom New Member

Name:
    Donkeyfan
    Food Trials are great, but make sure you are not interfering with treats... it will throw off your results for sure. Also going truly grain free could perpetuate his diarrhea. This can be frustrating, but hang in there and you will find something that will work.