Training a young puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Margo8478, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

Training a young puppy

hello! So Max is now 7 weeks and he is super smart! In just one week he learned his name, to come when called ( mostly), sit, down, up, shake, and when he comes up to me he knows to sit.

I’ve been putting him in a harness everyday with a leash and practice walking to the front door, sitting and then going out after me. Since he is so young we just practice walking on my front lawn or my driveway, and he is doing really well. I’m surprised how well considering his age.

I really want to socialize him with other people and dogs but he is so young and not fully vaccinated so I was going to have some friends come over with their dogs who I know are healthy and vaccinated. I’m looking for any other ideas to socialize him with strangers that are safe. I took him with me to Starbucks (carried him). Looking for other ideas.

Also I’m going to train him this week to stay, drop it, and leave it. Well hopefully but that’s this weeks goal. Any other suggestions on things I should be training
    Him?
    I know he is so young but I wanna get as much training in that I can while he is not vaccinated and prettty much has to stay home.
    Oh also we do car rides! Lol

Just looking for any tips, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He sounds as if he is doing really well. Just carry on as you are doing.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Margo8478 likes this.
    I think the conception that puppies have to meet and greet strangers/dogs is overrated.
    Afraid I don't agree with Ian Dunbar's "meeting 100 new people" before 12 weeks”.
    Depending on the pup it could do more harm than good.

Just exposing and making the pup comfortable in various situations will do.

Rethinking "popular" early socialization.
    https://www.collared-scholar.com/more-harm-than-good-3-reasons-why-i-never-socialize-my-puppies/

Although the title mentions IPO puppies, it really is good sound advice for any dogs! http://www.myschutzhundlife.com/single-post/2018/06/21/Socializing-the-Schutzhund-Puppy
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    @GsdSlave, You seem to have a link for just about everything dog related. Do you have a file on your computer with them all collected so that it’s easy to reference and share them? You always put up good reads!! Perhaps they couid be organized and put somewhere on breedia for people to easily access (with a big credit to you for providing the links)?
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    LOL Marc, yes I do have them saved on my computer, I have a habit of saving articles I am interested in, not just about dogs but my other hobbies to.

In the days before the computer I had loads of paper cuttings from old dog mags ect:
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I still save cuttings. I have no filing system though, so there's little chance of being able to find them at the right time!
  8. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Hello! Update on Max! He will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. He’s been doing soooo good, except with the crate/pen training, omg will he ever stop crying lol.

He finally fits in his training harness I got for him! Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    He’s super cute!! He looks all ears in the first pic. What type of service is he being trained for?
  10. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Thanks! He certainly is all ears! Lol. I wasn’t planning on training him for “service”, I just wanted him to be a really well trained dog. However the vest I got for him came with those patches, and the little guy is so smart, I started thinking I might now train him to be a service dog, visit hospitals with sick children etc... I’ve never done anything like that before but I think he would be good for something like that. He is still so young so can’t really go anywhere, been getting him use to the vest for now, taking him around people. My only concern is he is super attached to me, when he meets someone he will sit and accept a treat from them but he just sits by me and looks at me, maybe in time he will approach people. Everything is so new to him still.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I could be wrong, in which case I stand corrected, but as far as I know it is illegal to put a vest/jacket on a dog saying that it is a service dog in training, unless the dog/puppy has been registered as such by the organisation using that service, and is being trained for that specific purpose.

As an example, a PAT dog visiting hospitals etc, has to be tested to make sure it is suitable for that purpose. It has to be at least nine-months-old, been with the owner for at least six-months, and have passed temperament assessments.

The patches that come with certain vest/jackets are meaningless. Just a gimmick to sell the product.

Max is definitely a cute puppy - enjoy him while he is so young.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    As these harnesses are easily bought on internet more and more people are falsely claiming their dog is a service animal, which is causing problems for genuine owners of service dogs.
    Service Dog handlers must be disabled, their dogs perform tasks that their disabled owners would otherwise have difficulty completing on their own. If you do not have a disability, then you do not qualify for a Service Dog.

You are talking about P.A.T dogs (Pets as therapy) in the UK dogs must be over 9 months of age and be able to pass the temperament assessment test.
  13. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Just want to clarify, I didn’t take him out in public with the patches on. I just took this picture at home when I fitted him. The patches will be remaining off, he just wears the vest. Once he is old enough I’ll do what ever is required for a PAT dog. Thanks!
  14. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Omg adorable or what and just look at those stunning ears...he's going to turn out a right beauty...patience mom :lol: he's doing his hardest ;)