20 week old Border Collie constantly biting General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Shell1976, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Shell1976

Shell1976 New Member

Name:
    Michelle

20 week old Border Collie constantly biting

Hi all, I'm a new member in need of help/advice. We got our border collie puppy at 8 weeks old. We have later found out that the family we got our puppy from are possibly involved in puppy farming, which may be the reason he is biting so much. He's now 20 weeks old and seems to be getting worse with biting. We are not able to sit and stroke him without constantly biting. Keep thinking he will grow out of it and that he's teething etc. But he just seems out of control with it and nothing we say or do stops him. I dont believe he's untrainable as he sits, lays down, gives paw etc for treats. We also struggle to get his leaf and harness on as he just really bites hard. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as just not sure what else to do. Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This query is one of the most common ones that we get on here. The majority of puppies go through this biting phase, and 4 - 5 months is the time that their adult teeth erupt, and they are keen to try them out. Allow your puppy plenty of opportunities to chew, tough kong type toys, broccoli stalks, frozen carrots, or just frozen knotted tea towels are all suitable. Don't let your puppy become over-excited when you are playing, and stop all play immediately things begin to get out of hand. Either stand up, and freeze, or leave the room altogether until the puppy is calm again. Don't flap your hands at him, that will just seem like part of the game to the puppy. Don't let him snatch food and treats from you, he needs to know that he can only have these things if he takes them from you gently.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Carole's suggestions are good ones.

I'd also suggest finding a positive trainer and booking a one-to-one session. Getting the lead on, showing you how to give treats so he doesn't snatch and what to do when he makes a grab at you is very quick to show and often confusing when written down.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Don’t stress it will not go on for ever, It’s natural and all puppy owners go through it, add that to all the other puppy antics and sometimes you think “ what have we done “ !
    The best and only real advice has already been given by some of the other members.
    Pop in and out with any worries in the future because there are so many knowledgeable people.
    One great thing you have got going for you is that Border Collies are very intelligent and always want to please you, which means if you are willing to put the time in you will have a beautifully well trained and behaved boy
    Top tip.....keep his brain stimulated !
  6. Shell1976

Shell1976 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you very much to you all. We absolutely love Charlie and we all try to keep him busy and entertained, especially my 2 boys who love playing football with him. None of the other puppy antics bother me its just the biting and he shows his teeth too which worries me. I must admit i didn't think it was going to be this difficult and it's not been that enjoyable, but, we do love him and he's spoilt rotten and we will keep going. Really appreciate your replies, means alot and thanks for the advice xx
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m guessing having 2 boys about also excites the pup, with that the pup thinks it’s all a great game
    Good luck and let’s se some photos....when you get any spare time ! !
  8. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    I can safely say as we all can on here ..it will get better ..you're right in the thick of it and I know it seems like it'll never end ..but it does and you will have the most loveliest companion in your little boy . Mine is 8 and a half months now and we had terrible biting ..but it's teething think back to your children ..those teeth trying to break through just try and keep his gums cold put a toy he loves in the freezer that helps..you just have to persevere..mine only nibbles abit now when she's tired ..but no more biting.
  9. Ella Bella’s Mum

Ella Bella’s Mum New Member

Name:
    Beth
    Hi.
    We just got a beautiful border collie a few weeks at 8 weeks old. She is the same with the biting as well. We have tried everything and sometimes holding her muzzle, replacing her biting with chewing toys or shouting ouch gets her to stop. She seems to go after my son a lot even when he’s calm towards. Thanks for this post as it’s given me some really good ideas!