Crate training 5 month old. Training

Discussion in 'Australian Shepherd' started by Jackson's Mom, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jackson's Mom

Jackson's Mom New Member

Name:
    Christina

Crate training 5 month old.

[​IMG]
    Crate training 5 month old.
    by Christina
    (Pacific, MO)

I have a 5 month old Mini Australian Shepherd named Jackson. We have had him for 1 week and 2 days. He is doing amazing in almost every aspect. He has had 2 accidents in the house, so potty training is going great! He is sitting, coming, getting along with all people and other dogs and even had a great trip to the vet!

However, he is could not be doing any worse in his kennel. He is crying, screaming, absolutely shredding any type of bedding that I put in the kennel and fighting to go in it. He was awful last night. I didn't give in to letting him get in bed with me so that I could have much needed sleep!

I am giving treats when it is time to go in. Leading into the kennel, as well as once he is in. I am feeding him his breakfast by placing his bowl in the kennel and leaving the door open. He has no problem going in for food!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hate seeing him this unhappy about the kennel, especially when he is doing so good in nearly every other area!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Hello @Jackson's Mom he sounds like he's doing well in all aspects except the crate...if you don't mind me asking... his he out the crate a lot with you during the day because if so this maybe your leading problem to getting him in there because crates are mainly used for dogs from very young on a regular basis and they adjust to what it's for but how well behaved Jackson is by what you've said and they're quick on learning as they're a smaller version of the collie...he expects to be with you at all times and this may be why he doesn't want to except the crate :)