ITP disease Health

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Maks, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Maks

Maks New Member

Name:
    Maks

ITP disease

I have 11 months old Bernese mountain dog puppy. On Friday, we noticed that he is calm and not active as we know him. We took him to the vet, where they diagnose him with sore throat because of fever and red throat. He got antibiotics. On Saturday we went back, the fever was gone and he got another dosage of antibiotics and we got the pills. The puppy was little more active but still not as much as he can be. On Sunday he got worse. He was only sleeping and refusing food (he was food addict). We took him back to the vet and they made blood test. The pellet count were dangerous low, only 8.000 and the RBC was 4.9. Vet suspect rat poison and he got vitamin K. We took him back home and he did not get any better. On Monday morning we were back at the vet and his blood got even worse. Thrombocytes were down to 7 and RBC was down to 4.2. Vet decides to give him blood transfusion. Later that day in the evening his blood gets a little better, Thrombocytes were 9 and RBC were 4.6. Because he did not feel any better vet also give him immunosuppressant and we left him at clinic for observation overnight. In the next morning, his blood was better, Thrombocytes were 17 and RBC were still 4.6. Because of that, vet suspects that he has autoimmune thrombocytopenia. Now he is back home, eating a small amounts of food and sleeping. We are waiting for Thursday when they will took his blood for test again. Does anyone has something simillar?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hi Maks, I'm sorry to hear about your puppy's illness. What a dreadful worry. I don't know which country you are in, but in the case of any unusual illness, I would get in touch with the National Breed Club and see if they had further information. In the UK each breed has a Breed Health Coordinator, and this would be the person to ask to speak to.
    You should also notify the breeder.
    Best wishes.