New sheltie owner needing advice please Behaviour

Discussion in 'Shetland Sheepdog' started by Jay’s mum, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Jay’s mum

Jay’s mum New Member

Name:
    Sharon

New sheltie owner needing advice please

Hi, I’m Jay’s mum in the UK and Jay is a rescue dog, rescued from China’s cruel meat trade
    He’s approximately 4.5 - 5 years old. We adopted him in December 2018. This is the first time we have owned a sheltie. We previously had a golden retriever, and he was an amazing dog.
    Jay has settled in very well and he’s a happy little soul, loves his walks and is always happy to see us and can be quite vocal about it.
    However, Jay bites! Now I have no idea what this poor little dog went through in China. We are fairly convinced that he was owned by someone once, as he is so well behaved and doesn’t leave your side when out and about. He’s not adventurous, doesn’t run or play ball, no matter how much we try.
    Anyway, I’m diverting....Jay bites. You can stroke and fuss him as much as you like, but, with no warning, you can do this once and he’ll snap and bite. We’ve tried telling him off but to no avail. He does not like other dogs much. He is quite happy to meet dogs out and about, practically welcomes it, but within seconds, he’s turned on them. We knew he had to be the only dog in the house and we have adhered to this and he is showered with love and affection. But we really don’t know how to stop this biting, especially as I worry he might actually harm someone. Luckily, we don’t have small children in our family but that’s not the point. It does concern me out and about as people and children find him so cute.
    Can anyone here please help me with how to help Jay stop biting? I know shelties are emotional breeds and we don’t want to do anything to further harm his mental wellbeing. I’d be grateful for any advice.
    TIA.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. holatou

holatou New Member

Name:
    JJ
    Are you serious? They eat SHELTIES??? I mean you can't eat any dog, but a sheltie? What is wrong with people.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I hope things work out for you and Jay.