Sick dog Health

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Brandy Novak, Apr 19, 2019.

?

Should I him to sleep

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brandy Novak

Brandy Novak New Member

Name:
    Brandy Novak

Sick dog

Hello all, I have a Shih Tzu who is between 11 and 12. He was a rescue. In the last few months he has lost a lot of his teeth, his hearing & eye sight and he constantly has a cough and I find stomach bile all over. I am so torn on paying for tests to find out he has heart disease or cancer. I know I could not put him through treatment at his age. I am having a real battle within me. Do I pay for all these test or just not be selfish and put him to sleep. I knew I will be faced with this but I didn’t know it would be so hard. Any insight on what you would do? If he was 5 or so this would not even be a topic of discussion but considering he is a senior dog I am just so torn.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am sorry to hear that your Shih Tzu is sick - what does your vet say? You have to ask yourself what his quality of life is before making any decisions, especially as you say that you could/would not put him through treatment if tests showed really major problems.
  4. Brandy Novak

Brandy Novak New Member

Name:
    Brandy Novak
    I agree, I totally would give him treatment if he was a puppy still or even mid age. =( Just so hard. he is my lil baby and I will be so sad without him.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Brandy - if his quality of life is not good and shows signs of deteriorating, I can only say this. Sorry as I am, better a week too early than a day too late.

I still ask myself whether I did the right thing at the right time for my beloved Pereg - the beautiful girl I still use as my avatar - she was only six-years-old but had had uncontrollable epilepsy for four years and in my head I know I did do the right thing - but my heart still keeps hurting.
    [​IMG]
  6. Brandy Novak

Brandy Novak New Member

Name:
    Brandy Novak
    I know you are right, It's just getting my heart and head in sinc
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is so hard to make these decisions - what does your vet say?
    Sometimes there just isn't a right time. We have to make the best decision for that individual dog. I know that in the past I may have called it a little too early, and once or twice, I'm sorry to say that I certainly left it too late. As @Malka suggests, better the first than the latter.
  8. Brandy Novak

Brandy Novak New Member

Name:
    Brandy Novak

The vet has basically said it's up to me. He is a senior dog so they won't push back or anything like that even without an actual diagnosis and they just tell me I know my dog's want and needs better than anyone.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    GsdSlave likes this.
    My vet has never told me that it was time to put my dogs down, but has told me, after I’ve decided, that he thought I was doing the right thing. It’s a very personal, and hard decision, and the vet can’t make it for you. They have to let you make the choice. I agree, better a bit too early than too late. I think I’ve always waited too long. So sorry you are having to go through this
  10. Brandy Novak

Brandy Novak New Member

Name:
    Brandy Novak
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I am making the decision to take him today. I came home yesterday and he had thrown up the bile and his bowels were all over the house. It’s gonna break me emotionally but I know it’s the right thing for him. I’m learning that dogs are too loyal to let you know it’s time.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    We will all be with you in spirit Brandy. [​IMG]
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sad. Run free little man.