Recall for runaway puppy! Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Ella Bella’s Mum, May 14, 2019.

1. Ella Bella’s Mum

Ella Bella’s Mum New Member

Name:
    Beth

Recall for runaway puppy!

Hi.
    My border collie pup is 5 1/2 months now and on a couple of occasions and obviously by accident, she has gotten out of our garden. She runs down the road and also into the woods and we can’t get her back (eventually we do). I need help with recall tips please. We have done basic training but not covered recall like this as we are waiting for our training to get back to us about one to one in our garden.

Thanks in advance.

B
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I’m a great believer in teaching what I call the ‘emergency stop’, because the dog ‘doesn’t’ have to both stop turn around and come back, so its just one thing to think about and is much easier to comply in emergences, you can choose your command I just use the command wait.
    I teach it different to this but it will give you the general idea.
    http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/dor.txt

There are several methods for teaching recalls, this link gives one.
    https://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/why-wont-my-dog-come-back/comment-page-1/
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    When I had Sam (my Border Collie) I taught him a down (which came very natural to him). I could down him at any distance.

This came before the recall as it was much easier to teach once I could stop him in his tracks with the down
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Without distractions I can call ‘ stop ‘ & he will, but, that’s probably as far as it goes with an Akita...too much other stuff to investigate
    I love to watch border collies working sheep, they are so intelligent they can do lots of thinks that are asked of them
    Oh for a dog that obeys !
  6. Ella Bella’s Mum

Ella Bella’s Mum New Member

Name:
    Beth
    Thanks. Did the hiding game and she seemed to like that. Of course that was only in our kitchen. Once outdoors she is way too distracted!