Big boy Questions

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by LibbyKelev, May 18, 2019.

1. LibbyKelev

LibbyKelev New Member

Name:
    Libby

Big boy

Hello all,

I have a young male, Kelev, who is five months (dob 12/3/18 ) and just weighed in at 80 lbs. He is hungry ALL the time, currently eating about 2000 calories worth of Orijen Large puppy food along with training treats.

He is my second Bullmastiff, but my first was unusually small. I was just wondering, is Kelev unusually big for his age? His body condition seems good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Kaitlynn likes this.
    Kelev is Gorgeous!
    I know nothing about Bullmastiffs, and our regular BM fan has not been around lately, so I put Kelev's details into a Puppy Weight Predictor. www.puppyweights.com
    This predicts his adult weight to be 111 lbs 15 ozs which it claims to be about breed average. These figures can only be approximate, but it sounds as if he is making normal progress. Best wishes for your BIG baby.
  4. LibbyKelev

LibbyKelev New Member

Name:
    Libby
    That does make me feel better, thanks! I just hope I’m feeding the right amount.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kelev is very very handsome. Just out of curiosity, why have you called him Kelev?
  6. LibbyKelev

LibbyKelev New Member

Name:
    Libby
    Kaitlynn and CaroleC like this.
    Thank you! Kelev is the Hebrew word for dog, which is the combination of two words “ke (like) and Lev (heart)”, so it means like a heart, and he is definitely my heart!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I knew what it meant, I just wondered why you chose it! It would seem strange if you called him that here! My little Tikva is a girl but of course the word for dog is kelev [masculine] and I have given up telling people that she is a girl.

I get enough queries about her name as it is, but nowhere near the number of strange looks when I told them my previous girl, the one in my avatar, was called Pereg!
  8. LibbyKelev

LibbyKelev New Member

Name:
    Libby
    Yeah, it’s a little on the nose if you speak Hebrew, but most people don’t here, so I figured it would work, lol. I like your names, they’re really cute!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg was called Pereg because of the rain. She was only six-weeks-old and I called her Poppy. But it was the rainy season, and I got fed up standing propped against the wall saying "come on Poppy, make peepee for mommy", getting soaked in the process. It just sounded wrong, so as Pereg in Ivrit means the flower Poppy, although the word is mainly used for poppy seeds for baking, she had a name change!

Tikva is called Tikva because of Pereg, who I had to give peace to because she had uncontrollable epilepsy, and even before I found a puppy I knew her name would be Tikva. "Hope" - hope that The Monster would not come calling again.