Nipping concerns....or not ? Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Pepsiandtess, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Pepsiandtess

Pepsiandtess New Member

Name:
    Lynne

Nipping concerns....or not ?

Hi. I'm new on here and looking for some reassurance. We've had 2 collies before, both beautiful gentle girls. We've also had 2 yorkies, 1 still with us aged 8. We lost our last collie aged 14 1/2 last July and in January this year we got Tess at 8 weeks. As you can see she's adorable. There are just a couple of niggles I'm not sure if I should be concerned about. She is very loving and affectionate, active, quick learner etc etc as you would expect. She is going to obedience classes and has sit, down, wait, leave, find, recall, and drop. All good stuff. At around 12 weeks she started nipping the back of my ankles after I put her food down and running back to eat it quick. She also ran at our yorkie nipping- they are fed seperately but my son left the child gate open. I know as a litter they were fed from one bowl and also given chicken wings; the 3 boys bullied the girls. Baring this in mind, I started making sure they are fed seperate, gave her food in a quiet place and left her to it, and from then to now (she's 20 weeks) I've been working on gaining her trust - walking a bit closer,dropping tit bits in etc etc. She is now ok if I walk about her, call her and she'll come for a treat etc. When she's done I trade the bowl for a titbit and off she goes happy. Fine. However, if I make any attempt to or accidentally stroke/ touch her back when I put it down or take it back, she will snap at me. She will also chase the feet of my 27 yr old son if food is about and he walks in. She is fine with my hubby and 14yr old. On top of this she is very playful,loving, has good bite inhibition with toys, does not guard anything else etc etc She even brings hide chews for me to hold. But occasionally if I go to fuss her she will snap - so far she misses but you hear the teeth snap ! Last week I bent down next to where she was lying to pick up a cup by the sofa and she snapped toward my face slightly catching my chin. She gets a stern "no" and is then ignored for a bit and she seeks you out licking and looking sorrowful. Again she will do this with my 27 yr old but not OH or 14 yr old. She is not smacked or alpha rolled or any of that when she's done something eg chewing the carpet - just a "no" and cold shouldered. I should say both me and my older son are the only ones who do this, the other 2 let her get away with murder. Never had this before with any previous dog. Obedience trainer said "its puppy nuts", feed her alone and dont touch her, and dont bend over her or touch her back or head if she doesn't like it. Any thoughts. She is only 20 wks. Should I be worrying or plod on as we are doing. Thanks in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!