I’m worried about my dogs ‘juddering’ ‘clacking’ jaw. Anyone ever seen anything similar? Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by KellyBurd, Jul 26, 2019.

1. KellyBurd

KellyBurd New Member

Name:
    Kelly

I’m worried about my dogs ‘juddering’ ‘clacking’ jaw. Anyone ever seen anything similar?

I’m worried about my boys weird jaw clacking/juddering.

It’s hard to explain but it’s almost like it’s a spasm and at times comes on really violently.

He can just be sat relaxing or playing or even sleeping and it just starts. There’s no pattern to it at all.

He seems fine in himself, eats fine, plays and exercises as normal. He was neutered 2 weeks ago (unsure if that’s connected)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    KellyBurd likes this.
    I have no experience of this - apart from excitement during doggy dreaming. If this is a true spasm, I would suspect a dental issue, and would want a vet to take a look if I couldn't see anything myself. I really don't think the neutering could be connected, unless it was due to having been intubated during the anaesthetic.
    This turned up on a Google search,
    www.avidpup.com/dog-teeth-chattering/
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Has this started since his neutering? If so, it could be a tooth damaged during the op. Worth checking out.

I know it's not uncommon in an excited dog, but, other than that, it could be any number of things. It's obviously concerning you so I would have it checked out by a vet.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How old is he, and if this started before he was neutered, how old was he when it did start.

Also how long do these episodes last and do they stop by themselves or does he need external stimulation, ie you talking to him, to stop them.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Another question - how is he as soon as these episodes stop. Is he 100% back to whatever he was doing once they do, and do they occur more when he is dozing or sleeping than when they happen while he is playing.