Looking for suggestions or people who's saint has similar issue Questions

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by Sebrina, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sebrina

Sebrina New Member

Name:
    Sebrina

Looking for suggestions or people who's saint has similar issue

Hello, glad to have found this page, hoping to connect with other saint owners that may have a similar issue with their baby...I just recently got my first saint and she is perfect in every way. In such a short amount of time has proven to deserve the title of "Best Dog Everā¤" She was born with a deformed front leg in which the breeder had told me about and said the vet says her health is solid and at worst, may require amputation when my baby is older. It appears from her knee to her paw did not grow correctly leaving her with a short leg. Outside she will use it and walks, runs and plays on her tip toes of that leg. She doesn't show any signs of discomfort and has her first vet appointment with my vet in 2 weeks just to have her checked over good and hopefully get a solution to this leg issue. Question is, does anyone else with this issue use a adjustable boot or splint to give that extra few inches to help their dog get around "normally?" If so, where did you find such? Thanks so much!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sebrina likes this.
    Several dogs with this condition have been treated by Prof. Noel Fitzpatrick, and can be seen on past episodes of the Channel 4 programme, Supervet. I suspect that the treatment would probably would be very expensive, as any insurance is unlikely to cover a pre-existing condition.
    The most recent was the episode repeated on the More4 channel last week. The Bouvier puppy Koa, had cuts made through the bone of the affected front leg in two places, which were then held apart in an adjustable brace, allowing extra bone to grow to infill those spaces. The dog was shown running on a beach at the end of the programme, and appeared to be perfectly sound. I understand that his breeder and the dog's owners felt that the process had been worthwhile.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sebrina likes this.
    Hello - and welcome to Breedia to you and your new Saint puppy. :039:

I really do not know what to say or to advise about her leg but if she can walk, run and play as it is, with no discomfort, the last thing I would do is think about is amputation.

If, as @CaroleC has said, bone cuts and a brace will solve the problem, then that would be good. My own daughter had many manor surgeries for hip and femur birth problems and yes, after many years things were normal, but she now needs hip replacements.

Whether such surgeries will help a dog I do not know. Nor do I know whether I would put a dog through such surgeries if he or she is happy and can cope as he or she is now.

I had no choice with my daughter but would I put a dog through such things? I do not know. Especially as she seems to be coping well as she is.
  5. Sebrina

Sebrina New Member

Name:
    Sebrina
    I agree and amputation is what I'm trying to avoid. Vet stated that when she is older and much larger that she may not try to use it like she does now and it will lose all muscle and turn dead more or less. I just feel like there has to be a adjustable splint or boot that would be nice to have to keep her forever using the leg. She isnt quite 4mths old yet so still has alot of growing to do.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sebrina likes this.
    As I said, I really do not know about such problems about dogs. But I do know about legs, hips, problems about dogs which are basically the same about human babies. Not just my daughter but they were just about the same, and surgeries to fix the problems were also just about the same.

And as I said, I had no choice with my daughter, who was only 13 months old when everything had to start with her, nor do I know whether such surgeries would help a dog with similar problems. There was no guarantee that everything my daughter went through would help, but it was something that the risk had to be taken.

Nor do I know whether I would put a dog through such surgeries if he or she is happy and can cope as he or she is now.

I do not know what else to say. I am sorry. I just hope your baby will be OK.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sebrina likes this.
    The problem with a shortened leg is that the foot meets the ground on the nail tips, rather than on the pads. Eventually, especially in a giant breed, the foot will curl under, and the upper part of foot will be forced to carry the bodyweight - which it is not designed to do.
    Most dogs which are forced to bear weight in this way, whether due to a congenital problem, or acquired due to injury, do end up having to have the leg amputated, - and tripod dogs do normally cope very well. I will never forget watching the first amputation I assisted with, (a working sheepdog which went under the mower), come round from her anaesthetic, stand up, and walk as if she had always had three legs! I would have no hesitation in having an amputation, should one of my Beagles need one. I have no experience with giant breed tripods though. If you want to consider alternatives to amputation, I would say that a referral orthopaedic vet is the way to go. It may be worth looking at their websites for other ideas - such as implants - but it will be expensive.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you Carole - you explained things far better than I could.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, I had a look too and found, OrthoPets.com
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name: