Bad grooming experience Grooming

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Elmindreda, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Elmindreda

Elmindreda New Member

Name:
    Laura

Bad grooming experience

I’ve always trimmed my flat coat mix myself, but wanted to have her professionally groomed to make sure I was doing it correctly. When I picked her up, they had shaved everything. Her feathering is gone and her hair is only about a half inch long now all over. Will her coat grow back normally? I’m worried it’s ruined and the feathering won’t grow back like it should. I was hoping someone has had a previous experience and can help ease my concerns.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If your dog has an operation, the vet shaves the area right down to the skin. The hair usually grows back and blends in with the rest of the coat, so I think it will recover. It may take rather longer for the feathering to regain its former length and fullness though.
    I am constantly amazed at what professional groomers consider a suitable trim for long coated breeds - usually a once over with a no. 4 clipper comb, which removes all the guard hairs. I would either do your own Flattie in future, or get a retriever exhibitor to do it for you.
  4. orangeversion

orangeversion New Member

Name:
    Orange
    I
    guess it would take some time but your dog will recover from this. Dont worry. Everything will be all right.