Advice for a new newfie owner please General Chat

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by musky, Aug 27, 2010.

1. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay

Advice for a new newfie owner please

Megan is my newfie pup aged 20 weeks, she loves water, which i expected and has a paddling pool, but i want to introduce her to the sea, so she can have a real swim
    at what age is best to do this, or would she be better off in a lake for her first swim,
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Personally, I would go somewhere where the water is not TOO cold and get in with her! That's what I did with my pup. She still needs her confidence built up but you being in the water too encourages them in in the first place and gives them confidence when they are in then :)
  4. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    Thanks peedie, good idea, i will go in with her, I just keep being told by people i shouldn't over exercise her because she is a giant breed, but i think swimming would be good for her
  5. ruthshaw9

ruthshaw9 New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Newfies are lovely. Have you got any pics? I bet she's huge already.
  6. DippyLeo

DippyLeo New Member

Name:
    DippyLeo
    Personally would be very careful about swimming in the sea (or anywhere) at this age, she will still have puppy coat giving her no protection from the elements and she will be just like a sponge at this age .... also the advice you have already been given is sound advice ~ including swimming as exercise ~ paddling is the most I would allow for the the time being JMHO
  7. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    She is growing by the day Megan @ 20 weeks

[​IMG]

And here she is with my other dogs Bruce and Poppy

[​IMG]
  8. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    Thanks for the advise DippyLeo, think i will wait for a while and just let her play in her paddling pool until she's a bit older,
  9. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    I took my Newfi babies to a slow flowing stream, when they were about 6 months old, only went to their armpits. Lola loved the water and didnt want to come out, Ebony was a whole different story, she wouldnt go near the water.
    My kids went in with them a few times, now I cant keep them out of any water, although saying that, I live within a mile of the coast and they have never been in the sea.

This is my 2 at about 20 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Gorgeous xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  11. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
  12. ruthshaw9

ruthshaw9 New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Thanks for the pics. They're all gorgeous!
    I remember seeing a Newfoundland water rescue team staging rescues from the harbour. It was really fascinating.
  13. bigdogworld

bigdogworld New Member

Name:
    Neil
    We took Elvis to a hydrotherapy pool for his first swim. They put a lifejacket on him and taught him to retrieve. He absolutely loved it and now we can't keep him out of water!

[​IMG]
  14. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    Thats a great picture. Im having trouble keeping mine out of their water bucket, fast as I fill it, they spill it :roll:
  15. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    Elvis looks like he is having lots of fun, :lol: I will find out if we have one near us, thanks that a good idea

Megan seems to be wet all the time too !! :roll: we got her a raised feeding thingy, so she sits up on her bum and still puts both feet in the water, she also has a paddling pool which she rolls in, then she shakes herself all over Bruce, he don't like water, so he grumbles at her.
  16. molikotigo

molikotigo New Member

Name:
    moli
    the water too encourages them in in the first place and gives them confidence when they are in then
  17. molikotigo

molikotigo New Member

Name:
    moli
    the first place and gives them confidence when they are in then
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @molikotigo The last post on this thread is dated September 2010.