pigeon chested Frenchie Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Cb731, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Cb731

Cb731 New Member

Name:
    Clare

pigeon chested Frenchie

Hello, I've got a male french bulldog pup who is now 15 weeks old, I noticed his chest stuck out a bit a few weeks back and took him to the vets for a check up who said he has pigeon chest! I have to take him back when he is 6 months old for another check up but just wanted some advice, has anyone else got a frenchie with pigeon chest and if so what is the outcome? Will he be able to lead a normal life.. im so worried about the unknown, thanks in advance for any helpful replies
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Try not to worry, this may not be as bad as you fear, but as there is a potential for this to be classed as a deformity, I think I would notify your puppy's breeder. It is hard to us to imagine how pronounced this is, could you post a picture of him?
  4. Cb731

Cb731 New Member

Name:
    Clare

Attached Files:

5. Cb731

Cb731 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    It's hard to take a picture as he won't keep still but this is the side view of it, he's full of energy in himself and seems abnormal mischievous pup so fingers crossed
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    The picture is clear enough, and does show a definite pigeon chest. I would send that photo to the puppy's breeder and, without making any derogatory statements, ask for their comments. There is a good chance that your puppy will be able have a normal quality of life, but the breeder should be made aware that the condition is in their breeding.
    There is a good illustrated article about this condition by the vet Samantha Goldberg, who is the breed health co-ordinator for Beagles in the UK, for a US magazine, which is available as a download, (wrong breed but same condition).
    I am an IT dumbo, so I hope this link works.
    www.Showbeaglequarterlymagazine.com/PDF/sample.chest.pdf.
    The address is correct, but I'm not sure whether you need www , http or whatever.
  7. Cb731

Cb731 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    Thanks i take a look at the link and will get my other half to contact the breeder
  8. Gerry Delorme

Gerry Delorme New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Hello,

I am wondering if this is also pigeon chest? If so how do I handle this with a breeder?

Attached Files:

9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It does look like one. Though it isn't an urgent matter, - unless you have only just collected the dog from the breeder, or were intending to breed from it. I would be inclined to get your vet to check it at your next appointment.
    It need not be a problem for a pet dog. My rescue Beagle has a rather short sternum, and my vet says that his heart, breathing and blood pressure have always been text book. I wouldn't want to breed from one though.
  10. Natalie Singers

Natalie Singers New Member

Name:
    NatalieS
    Hello there, I was interested to know how you got on with your little pigeon chested pup? We have recently discovered ours is the same
  11. Natalie Singers

Natalie Singers New Member

Name:
    NatalieS
    Hi Gerry, I wondered how you got on with your frenchie?
  12. MColombo

MColombo New Member

Name:
    Martin
    Hello,

I am wondering if this is also pigeon chest? Reading and seeing the pics......
    It appeared a week ago.
    Are they supposed to have a normal life although?

Attached Files:

13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    MColombo and CaroleC like this.
    Hello Martin - it looks very similar to the other pictures on this thread.
  14. Svetleo

Svetleo New Member

Name:
    Svet
    How is your dog doing now? I've got a puppy with the same problem..
  15. Katie Bartley

Katie Bartley New Member

Name:
    Katie
    We have a 13 week old male and have just noticed this issue in the last week. We got him at 6.5 weeks and didn't see any signs of anything off per say. Would love to hear how others puppies are doing? Especially after some time with the condition? Any health issues? Or just aesthetic? Ours is eating/drinking/playing completely normal but just concerned.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    ½
    Hello Katie - unfortunately none of the owners of the other puppies on this thread have been back to Breedia with an update but the comments made by @CaroleC might be of use to you.

6½ weeks is very young to get a puppy - in the UK and in many states in the US it is illegal to sell a puppy under the age of 8 weeks. Did you get him from a registered breeder?
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Seems as though this might be common in this breed.
    No puppy should be leaving it's maternal home at 6.5 weeks.