When is it time Health

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Rhondalee, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Rhondalee

Rhondalee New Member

Name:
    Rhonda Lee

When is it time

Hi everyone I just found the forum. I have an 18 year old Jack Russell that has had bad discs for several years. The vet has off and on put her on steroids and a muscle relaxer. Several months ago she seemed to be in pain so we took her back and he did another round of the meds. Every time he has done a kidney test that came back fine. But her back legs are giving out more each day. She is eating good, drinking water, and going outside for bathroom but when she gets up and walks her legs are just giving in on her. If we get keys she still gets excited and wants to ride. But other than that she is laying down. She has never slept anywhere but with us or near us. Yesterday she started laying in the kitchen floor alone and doesn't want to come in living room. She doesn't seem to be in pain This is breaking my heart but I don't want to prolong anything for her. I don't know what to do. I can barely see to type from tears. Anyone had any experience with this. All replies will be so appreciated. Good bless!
    Rhonda
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    I am so sorry Rhonda and I feel for you. I think maybe by not wanting to go into your living room with you she is telling you that she is ready, and however much it hurts you it is better to give her peace a day too early than a day too late.

Just remember this - your girl will always be in your heart, free from pain and suffering, and that freedom will be the greatest gift you can give her.

Juli
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is so sad to read this. Few of us can be really sure when the the time has come. In my own life, I suspect having been too early a couple times, and too late a similar number. I feel uncomfortable about both, but I agree with Malka - I feel more guilty about the ones where I held on for too long. For some reason dogs always seem to put in an extra effort just when you are trying make that decision - and we hesitate because the tail is still wagging, or they are still eating - I have learned that some will carry on doing this right up to the end.
    No-one can be certain, but eighteen is a great age for a dog, and is testament to your love and care. Euthanasia is the last kind act that we are able to do for them. Listen to your inner feelings. xx.
  5. Rhondalee

Rhondalee New Member

Name:
    Rhonda Lee
    Thank you for the replies. Her"daddy" has been working the last few days out of town but the next two days we will make this heart breaking decision. Since I last posted her legs are giving out more and more but she still gets up and gives it her all. I read about back braces and they could stabilizer her back and give her relief while helping her to walk. But I can't be selfish, and want her to be comfortable. I hate the most her last minutes with us will be at the vet. She has always been very nervous, shaking, and uncomfortable when we take her. I can't bear just thinking about her looking at us. This is the worst heart ache. I'll update when I can. God bless you all and your babies. If they're many typos it's the tears
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just be with her, cuddle her, and keep telling her how much you love her, so that she will forever hear your voice of love.

Juli xx
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @Rhondalee It is heartbreaking that due to CV19 owners are not able to be in the clinic while their dogs given sleep. I have heard of some owners being issued with sedation to administer at home, so that the dog will be less conscious when the nurse takes him or her through to the vet. If your vet would allow this, it might help with the issue of your girl's nervousness, and also be less distressing for you.
    Talk to your vet in advance, and see what they are prepared to allow.