Deflated muzzel Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by avocalea, Aug 11, 2020.

1. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa

Deflated muzzel

Hi
    My 7 month old Sharpei was unwell last Friday as you could not touch his face he had an antihistermine at the vets which they said was possible due to a insect bite.
    He was very lethagic all Friday and picked up later that night as if nothing was wrong, his muzzel has now deflated.
    Can anybody advise as to whether this will return and why would this happen.
    He is back to his happy self.
    Our last Shar pei we had for 14 yaers and this never happened to him.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    avocalea likes this.
    He could have been stung by an insect or maybe touched/ate something that was an allergen, and if it is not known what the cause was there is not really any guarantee that it might not happen again. It is also quite possible that it was a one-off and will never happen again.

It could have been the antihistamine that caused him to be lethargic as many do cause drowsiness and lethargy, and it is good to hear that he was quickly back to his normal self.
  4. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa
  5. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Thank you Malka I really appreciate your reply
    Concerned that his muzzle has deflated? Do you think it will return to normal ?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and avocalea like this.
    Lisa, if your puppy is acting normally, eating and drinking normally, and peeing and pooing normally, then I would not worry. If his face had been swollen from whatever it was, the antihistamine obviously countered whatever the allergen was - bite or otherwise, so any swelling will have gone down. It could look like his muzzle has deflated but it would probably just be due to first the swelling and then the reduction of the swelling.

If you are worried you should telephone your vet but I think that if everything else is OK and as it should be I would wait a couple more days to see if his face looks more normal to you.
  7. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Thanks, I will see if it returns to normal and if not in a few days go back to our vets
  8. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Malka likes this.
    AFBD5E53-F3E1-4948-97CE-C0B83F5F42FF.jpeg
  9. avocalea

avocalea New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    This is Teddie with his muzzle before it deflated and he was poorly,
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    avocalea likes this.
    Teddie is lovely - even with such a swollen face. I should imagine that as it really was quite swollen it would look very deflated once the swelling had gone down, and with his skin being stretched it probably looks rather saggy now so the difference would be very noticeable.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    avocalea likes this.
    Get well soon Teddie. xx