Greetings Questions

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by Brigitte Elzarki, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Brigitte Elzarki

Brigitte Elzarki New Member

Name:
    Brigitte

Greetings

I have a 3 1/2 year Irish Setter. Her name is Amber. She is not my first one. I grew up with Irish sergers and after having 4 Afghans I was wanted to have another Irish Setter. She is fun, playful, sometimes a little crazy and wants a lot of attention. She is the princess of the house.

Question! She recently has lost some hair on her chest. She was spayed at around one and has a little fluff but not much but her hair on her chest is thinning. Should I be worried? The rest of her body is normal. If I pull the fluffy hair she would probably be bold.

upload_2020-8-16_11-40-7.jpeg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Brigitte - welcome to Breedia to you and Amber :039:

Have you taken Amber to your vet and asked what could be causing her to lose hair?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Spaying can cause the hair texture to change in some breeds - due to the deficiency of female hormone. As you say, the the result is lighter coloured, fluffy hair which can be quite easily stripped away, and can leave bare patches if there is no new coat appearing underneath. This has also happened to my daughter's Border Terrier, who now has to have her long blond locks trimmed!
    My spayed Beagle moults continually and, after having had a hysterectomy, I also now have thin, baby-fine hair, so we have both been taking Biotin - Vitamin B7. The results are not dramatic but there has been some improvement. After trying almost every coat supplement on the market, I have also settled on adding a little organic wild salmon oil to my girl's food, and externally I use a conditioning grooming spray - different types suit different coats.