Biting Malinois Behaviour

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by WarriorXena, Dec 19, 2020.

1. WarriorXena

WarriorXena New Member

Name:
    Kara

Biting Malinois

Hello everyone. We have a 9 week old Belgian Malinois puppy (female) who we’ve had a little over a week now. I know they’re considered a biting breed, but I’m concerned because whenever we gently discourage her from biting us (usually by prying her off and saying a variation of “no bite”), she becomes even more aggressive and frantic. These past few days she started growling at us if we stop her from biting our legs and feet, and she will frantically attempt to bite any flesh in reach, usually arms, hands, and even my back and thighs. Putting toys in her mouth does not help. We’ve resorted to jumping up on furniture until she calms down.
    Are we doing something wrong here, or is the increased aggression normal for this breed when denied the opportunity to bite at such a young age??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Some pups are more bitey than others, the goal is not so much to stop them from biting, but to teach bite inhibition, no one method will work for all and there are numerous ways to teach them to understand what's acceptable.
    Whatever method you choose, the more consistent you are the faster they will learn.
    http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am not sure whether jumping up on furniture to get away from a biting puppy is a good idea - she might think you are jumping up is part of a game to play with her.