Spaying gsp Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Rat, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

Name:
    Rat

Spaying gsp

What are your opinions on when to spay a gsp? Mine’s 5 months and the very is really pushing 6 months but I heard that is too young as they are still growing.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Personally I would not spay a late maturing breed before 18 months.
  5. robertopena

robertopena New Member

Name:
    Roberto
    I don't know much about the topic, but in the article that was shared there are more negatives than positives points if you spay or neuter a dog at such a young age.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    This post is from two years ago. The OP has already made a decision regarding spaying their dog.

As for the article, it is merely a general collection of possibilities. As the article states at the end, the breed, age and gender all change the outcomes. A recent study looked at 35 breeds and found that spaying/neutering between 6-11 months, 12-23 months, over 24 months, or leaving intact affected the different breeds and even gender within that breed regarding cancers and other health issues such as hip displasia.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    I usually spay between four and six years, but these have been bitches that have been shown and may have a litter. I wouldn't spay a girl until she was fully mature - sex hormones aid the development of healthy joints and the laying down of hard muscle.
    The one exception was my rescued Tweed Lurcher whose prodigious jump and negligible recall made keeping her contained almost impossible. She was spayed after her second season.
    DSCF2026 (1).jpg
    This picture was used as a poster in the base at the North West Working Trial Championships with the tagline:
    Going Walkabout is Easy When You've Done Working Trials.

Not true. It should have read When You Go Walkabout, Working Trial Training is Essential!