Jack Russell limping Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by James Hunt, Jun 22, 2021.

1. James Hunt

James Hunt New Member

Name:
    Jim

Jack Russell limping

Hello all
    I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me.
    I have just adopted (2 months ago) a 2 year old Jack Russell terrier named Maisie, previously I have always had large dogs, my last 2 were Boxers but wanted a complete change after losing the last one recently. Maisie has developed a limp (both front legs at different times) that comes and goes, my vet says that there is nothing wrong with her legs and with rest and some Metacam she recovers quickly.
    My question is am I overdoing the exercise? We walk for about an hour with her chasing a ball constantly and when we return home she still wants to run and chase in the garden. Should I cut down and make her rest more? Please help.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    JRT's are known for luxated patellas. The knee cap pops out and in place and that can cause limping.

You can find videos of JRT's with funny gaits because of this problem. Usually it isn't a major problem.

Trying to slow down a JRT is pretty impossible, so I would just try to give her more interactive toys to mix in between the physical stuff. Maybe try to teach her some tricks that can focus her energy a bit more. That may help give her a break from the constant pounding on her knee.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Slipping patellas shouldn't affect a front leg though, and two is a bit young for arthritis - which can make my old boy potter from time to time. Your vet would have spotted an elbow or wrist problem, so I am wondering whether it could be a sprain. You won't know her history but I wonder if Maisie might have had a knock or an accident at some time in her past.
    It doesn't sound as if it is bothering her so I would just keep an eye on it. If she is actively lame - encourage her to rest by providing chews or mental activity, as suggested by Toedgoes. If the limp becomes worse, I would try to see a horse or Greyhound vet - they are experts on lameness.
  5. James Hunt

James Hunt New Member

Name:
    Jim
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for your reply, Maisie has been resting for five days and has had Metacam daily, she is still limping a bit but it does seem a lot better and it is not worrying her as much
  6. James Hunt

James Hunt New Member

Name:
    Jim
    Hi CaroleC, as I have told toedtoes, Maisie has been resting and appears a lot better. If it happens again I will get her x-rayedthanks for your help.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Just a word of warning. Metacam is excellent for masking pain, but does little to remove the cause of it. It is my habit to use as little pain control as possible, as the lack of pain can encourage animals not to rest an injured limb sufficiently.
  8. Doggy lover

Doggy lover New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hi, my 5 year old westie has “clicky” knees (arthritis). I give her Yumove tablets daily and I really see an improvement. Hope this helps.