Is she or isn't she Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Bill Peter Erickson, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Bill Peter Erickson

Bill Peter Erickson New Member

Name:
    bill erickson

Is she or isn't she

We got this free to a good home dog. 2 yrs old. What do you think she is? We're thinking mini-pin.

violet.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Some things about mixed breeds:

1. Outside of "designer dogs", most mixes have at least three breeds in them. Often more.

2. Not every breed in the mix will present itself physically. So while the dog may not look at all like a poodle, he may have poodle in his makeup. Same for temperament and behavior. The smaller the amount of a breed, the less likely you'll "see" it in the dog.

3. When breeds mix, they do weird things. The physical traits from each breed may combine to create something different. A large dog may have small dog dna - he just got his size from a large breed in the mix, or visa versa. A dog may get her body shape from a lab and her legs from a bassett. Or a dog may get her ears from a beagle and her muzzle shape from a pug and her tail from an akita.

With all that, the most accurate way of determining the breeds is to do a dna test. Embark and Wisdom Panel are good. For dogs here in North America, a less expensive test is dnamydog. It doesn't test for breeds that are rare in North America and they don't do health testing, so the cost is lower. They only test for common AKC registered breeds, so they don't test for APBT or Pharoah Hound, etc. They also don't test for "pit bull" as it is not really a breed in itself. They do test for staffordshire, etc. that have been used to create "pit bulls". I've used them on my past three dogs and have been very satisfied with the results.

Having given my disclaimer, I'm not sure there is min pin or, if there is, much of it at all. While the coloring fits, that in itself doesn't mean anything - many dogs get that coloring. Both my Moose-dog (shepherd/poodle/newfie) and my Bat-dog (shepherd/corgi/beagle/chow/shar pei/boxer/german shorthair) had similar coloring and markings. Moose-dog in particular looked very pinscher - he got the pinscher build from the poodle and the coloring and markings appear with shepherd mixes quite commonly.

I'd more likely guess beagle, jack russell, doxie, etc. It's possible there is also some "big dog" dna in there such as shepherd.

From the photo (which isn't the best pose for this), she looks more square than a min pin. To me, that is more in line with beagle or jack russell. Her eyes are a soft brown that fits with those breeds also.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    She has the look so I'm guessing Min Pin is in there.

She's a lovely lass whatever she is
  5. Bill Peter Erickson

Name:
    bill erickson
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    I ordered the wisdom panel test from chewy, took the swabs and mailed it back today. In 2 - 3 weeks the question should be answered.
  6. Bill Peter Erickson

Name:
    bill erickson
    The results are in:

We detected 11 breeds in Violet’s DNA.
    • Terrier

Chihuahua

Miniature Pinscher

Yorkshire Terrier

Dachshund

Miniature Schnauzer

Rat Terrier
    • Companion

Pekingese

Pug

Pomeranian

Poodle (Toy and Miniature)

Shih Tzu
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    You see, you have the best of all worlds with little Violet :)
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think she is a real cutie!
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Malka likes this.
    She's got a nice multi-ethnic background! :lol:
  10. Helidale