1st January 2017 & already we have 3 unwanted Christmas pups Rescue

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jan 1, 2017.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

1st January 2017 & already we have 3 unwanted Christmas pups

I opened up The Rescue Home at 9am this morning & by 9:30 a pup was dumped in the car-park, yes dumped in car-park.
    This is what happened a car roared in driver got out open back door & a put cardboard box on ground got back in his car & drove off at speed out of car-park, I went over to cardboard box & found the most adorable grey [blue] Whippet/Italian Greyhound staring back up at me [pup is around 9/10 weeks old am not sure if pup is a Whippet or Italian Greyhound yet] I have not found her microchip yet so I can't get in touch with her breeders.

The 2nd pup was bought in at 10:39 a smooth coated Fox Terrier the reason this pup was bought in was because he pooed & peed in the house he's a 9 week old puppy it was they do until they have been house trained - good new for this little pup is he's going back to the breeder & are only to happy to have him back, so I am going to take him tonight [breeders have been drinking last night so I said I take pup to them] just got to make sure my driver knows before he comes to pick me up that we are going to Buxton.

20 minutes ago [12:55] a 10 week Staffy puppy was bought in reason she bitten one of their children fingers, she's a puppy & needs educating that biting fingers/toes is a big No No, everyone knows that pups have razor sharp teeth & pup with bite so get them a teething toy or carrot to chop on - unfortunately for this pup her breeders don't want her back.

Why do people buy puppies as Christmas presents only to dump them once they bite, poo, wee it just don't make any sense what so ever.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    'tis a sad World. Poor mites - I hope their futures are better
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Heartbreaking Tina. Too many puppies available, and too few dedicated owners.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    People need reeducating not to give puppies/kittens as Christmas presents unless they sign a contract saying they going to keep pup/kitten for life.

So true but at least the Fox Terrier will be going back to breeder in a few hours time.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Totally heartbreaking. I know that my last three whens were take the... or else. But no way could have I every parted with them, but just to buy them and just keep for Christmas?

How would then feel if they gave birth on Christmas and then decided oh, this baby pees and poos when it wants to - better change it for a better trained one.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    Happens every year, people buy them as unwanted presents
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Been in puppy heaven at the Fox Terrier breeders house, there were 2 bitches with puppies ages 4 week & 6 weeks old, plus the mama dog of the puppy that was handed in at The Rescue Home this morning.
    All the mama dogs are all going to be showing at Crufts in March, the breeder as decided to keep the puppy that was handed in at The Rescue Home & use him as a stud dog when he's older.

The house was clean & tidy they had their breeders licence displayed on the wall along with all the champion rosettes & photo's of previous puppies who are also show-ring champions, they were a very nice couple & they were very happy that I phoned them up to let them know about the puppy & to let them have the puppy back.

But on a sad note the little grey Whippet/Italian Greyhound that was dumped in The Rescue Home car-park as a fractured leg [vet thinks previous owner may of kicked/stamped on puppy causing the injury to her leg] she wouldn't put her leg down when she was eating & when she was going toilet so vet X-Ray her leg saw she had fracture & put a cast on her dainty leg, she is now in the care of one of our fosters & will be until her leg is better.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Oh bless her. Thank heavens the despicable man that did this to her did abandon her to people who care and give a damn.

I truly despair of the World at times
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry Tina, the trimmings may be there, but having litters aged 9 weeks, 6 weeks, and 4 weeks, sounds like breeding on an industrial scale to me.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Perhaps that comment was a bit too hasty.
    As long as they are doing their health testing, interviewing their buyers, and maintaining a relationship with the puppies they breed, I suppose they are only fulfilling their waiting list for puppies. I apologise for making assumptions.
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Use the puppy as a stud dog when their puppies are being dumped at shelters. And that person got nothing but congratulations from even shelter personnel (OP). I see a huge issue with that. I mean - A HUGE issue.

Also I agree with Carole in that something seems off about them. Puppies can't have all proper tests for breeding so why say that? They shouldn't use him as a stud dog unless he passes hip tests etc when older. Sounds like over breeding to me as well, and I actually won't apologize for making assumptions.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I agree but after seeing the conditions that the Fox Terriers were living in says that the breeders does loves their dogs, the 3 breeding bitches they have at moment are 2 x 2 1/2 years & 5 years old [2nd litter for 5 year old & 1st litters for the 2 1/2 year old's] they only breed 1 litter every other year, [proof was shown that they were not over breeding] if I thought they were BYB's I wouldn't have given them the pup back.

I know first hand that having 3 unspayed bitches [Ruby, Dottie, Ziva] that when one comes into season it will automatically bring the others into season [boy was I glad that I had sprayed Skye when the pups were 12 weeks old] because Ruby was first one to come into season at 6 months old, 3 weeks later Dottie came into season & 2 weeks after Dottie came into season Ziva came into season & to top it all off Ruby came back into season again a week after Ziva season had ended.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Point taken, and no remarks were aimed at you Tina. You went above and beyond what is required from a rescue in this case.

I just don't understand why serious breeders can't provide a little after sales service by keeping in contact during those early days. This gives the new owner a opening to ask for advice on anything that may not be going to plan. Also, maintaining an interest in the dogs you breed is the only way you will know about any problems that might appear in your bloodlines.
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Reputable breeders don’t sell puppies at Christmas, unless it has been planned far in advance.
    Also Smooth Fox Terriers are on the Vulnerable Native Breeds list, so I would expect puppies would only be sold to responsible owners willing to ensuring the continued future of them.

Quote The house was clean & tidy they had their breeders licence displayed on the wall

Quote they only breed 1 litter every other year,

A breeder’s license is only needed if you breed five or more litters in any period of twelve months.
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes a lot just breed for money not bothered about pups health or what happens to it after its been sold, like the Staffy pup's breeder who don't want the pup back.
    Some breeders give 4 weeks free insurance & or puppy pack when they have sold a pup with a good luck card with call me if you have any problems with pup. [both K9's & Skye's breeder did this when I bought them]

Little Luna [that's what we are calling the Whippet/Italian Greyhound] is doing fine, big problem is I have fallen head over heels with her :007: I am in contact with a local Whippet breeder who is coming over to The Rescue Home on Saturday & hopefully will let me know whether pup is Whippet/Italian Greyhound, plus give me some advice on caring for her [yes I am madly in love with her so I might be keeping her] she's still staying with the foster carer overnight at moment until her leg is better as the foster is our vet's nursing assistant & is better adapted in caring for dogs with fractured legs.
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Everything points to over breeding and yet they got congratulations by shelter personnel. This is part of the problem. They are part of the problem. Maybe they are just clean freaks and like a very clean house, or maybe that is to hide the fact that they are over breeding to trick people like the OP into thinking they are "ethical" breeders. Either way, their puppies are being dumped in shelters and they've got tons more puppies.
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Vee I have had Reputable GSD's breeders phoning & emailing me in middle of October, (15th to 28th) letting me know they have a litter of female pups that will be ready between the 20th -23rd December, not one of these breeders offered to hold the pups until after Christmas.
    My name as been on their list for years & to be honest I forgotten that I was still on some of these breeders list.
    I was on top of one breeders list my name had worked its way up to the top of this very highly recommended breeder & this breeder was one of them that contacted me by email (my name as been on his list for 15 years) in October asking if I was still interested in having a female pup, if so please email him straight away, to have the first choice of the female pups, which will be ready to leave on the 23rd December.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    I am pleased that little Luna is doing well. I can understand you being tempted - Whippet puppies are so sweet, and curl up like a safety pin.
  20. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    6JRT's and mjfromga like this.
    Keeping the pup back now to use at stud later on even though they sold him? Doesn't make much sense. But I guess at least he has a home now. I agree though that they don't sound the best of breeders. Just because the dogs are champions does not make them reputable at all ;) and breeding so many pups that they need a license indicates over breeding IMO.

But not the point of the thread so I apologize.

The rescue home you work at Tina sure is busy! Hope the other two puppies find their forever home soon.
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I did say in previous post (Quote-unless it has been planned far in advance.) in other words if a puppy has been reserved and the breeder is satisfied it is not an unexpected Xmas present.