8 Below Question Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jem, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma

8 Below Question

As some of you might have seen in the picture thread my other half watched 8 below earlia with the dogs,
    I googled the dogs to find out if they were sibes or mals 6 are sibes and 2 are mals.
    Without causing any offence i dont know which 2 are mals i've guessed the dark red one and the dark grey as they are bigger than the others.
    Am i way out with my guess and can anyone tell me which 2 actually are mals?x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    yup the larger ones are mals, they are all really good looking dogs in that film x
  4. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    id go for the red one with the red under the eyes & the big grey dog with "classic" markings, though tbh in the film they all looked much the same, ie quite chunky.

the white dog was quite oriental looking i thought.

my face was the grey bitch, totally in love with her
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    From what I remember they were Mya or Mia and Buck I think
  6. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    According to Wikipedia, there were two Alaskan Malamutes (Buck and Shadow) and six Siberian Huskies (Maya, Max, Truman, Dewey, Shorty and Old Jack) in the film.

The actual dogs in the real life story were Sakhalin Huskies - Japanese sled dogs similar in looks to the Greenland Dog.

Mick
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Fab film, even though it was sad in places. I wonder what the original version is like, even more weepy I guess.

I watched the remake when it first came out and thought it said (in the making bit) that some of the dogs used where rescue dogs?

Anyhow found this link:

http://members.tripod.com/~siberianhuskybreeder/eightbelow.html
  8. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    my favourite was the black and white boy that seemed to always get left out or acted silly.. He reminded me of my Kismet... So after the first death.. I decided not to watch the rest as I couldn't have coped if he died
  9. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    This is the incident the film (and the previous film "Antarctica") was based on (from Wikipedia):

"Summary
    In February 1958, the Second Cross-Winter Expedition for the Japanese Antarctic Surveying Team rode on the icebreaker Souya to take over from the 11-man First Cross-Winter Expedition. Due to the extreme weather conditions in Antarctica, Souya could not get near enough to the Shouwa Base and they decided not to proceed with the stay-over.

The First Cross-Winter Expedition retreated by helicopter, but they had to leave 15 Sakhalin Huskies at the unmanned Shouwa Base. The dogs were left chained at the base, as the team thought that they would be returning, but they did not due to fuel shortages. The team was worried about the dogs, as the weather was extremely cold and only one week of food was available.

Nearly a year later, on 14 January 1959, Kitagawa, one of the dog handlers in the first expedition, returned with the Third Cross-Winter Expedition, wanting to bury his beloved dogs. To everyone's surprise, they were greeted warmly at the base by two dogs, Taro and Jiro, brothers who were born in Antarctica.

What happened to Taro and Jiro?
    The younger brother Jiro died in the fifth expedition in July 1960. His body was made into a specimen and is placed together with the faithful dog Hachikō in National Science Museum at Ueno, Tokyo. The older brother Taro was luckier, who returned to Hokkaido University for his retirement, and died at the age of 15 in 1970. His body was also made into a specimen at Hokkaido University."

Mick
  10. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Thanks for that Mick, once again Dogsey has helped me impress my hubby with my knowledge:lol:
  11. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Loved the film as well though i cry like a baby everytime! Thanks Mick as its great to know a bit more of the history behind it.

I do wish film companies would put some thought into there actions though as this film has added to the fire of the 'husky craze'. A disclaimer about sibes not being an easy dog at the end before the credits may have helped some people stay in the real world a bit . . .
  12. Matt and Vikki

Matt and Vikki New Member

Name:
    Matt
    great film,, It's Rangers horror film, he sits in front of the tele right up until the dog screams when falling down the cliff he then has to leave the room for a while in distress :lol: