8 month old french bulldog eating changes Diet

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by chino316, Dec 24, 2017.

1. chino316

chino316 New Member

Name:
    Larry

8 month old french bulldog eating changes

Hello i own a Male 8 month old French bulldog named Lucky, ever since i got him in July, i've been feeding him from what the breeder has been giving him Purina Pro plan dry food and purina pro plan wet food mix together all the time. I've noticed a change in his eating since november sometimes he eats one to two meals a day now he doesnt really get hungry but he will eat when hes hungry of course. everytime when where at the dinner table he always stands up and barks at us to give him human food but we never do, and when he gives up he will get tired like he tried and later he gets hungry and eat his own dog food, we do feed him treats here and there in between when hes not eating his meal yet. but there's noting wrong with him hes full of energy and loves to run around alot and play. today he ate a piece of rock pebble that was on the full he tried to eat it but i think it got stuck in throat and he started throwing up, about an hour went by i read to give him boiled skinless chicken or breast chicken with rice so i made him somewhat a big portion cause he vomited alot from that rock that got stuck in his throat..but he ate the entire meal i cooked him, but besides all that should i change hes eating habits to something different or another name brand or adult dog food and is this normal for him eating now one to two meals a day? oh and wanted to ask this as well, should i try changing this Is raw food diet's good for dogs even when they are still a puppie? and what about the raw foods that are freeze dried and frozen that are sold in pet stores are they safe for the dogs and puppies?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    At 8 months, yes, I'd switch him onto adult food if you are still feeding the puppy food. Dogs tend to choose for themselves when to drop to the amount of meals they are comfortable with so if your guy is choosing two meals a day then there isn't a problem.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Larry and welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me :039:

My previous two dogs were fed puppy kibble until they were about 5 months old, then changed to adult kibble, and very shortly decided they only wanted two meals a day. After I lost the first one I ended up changing my girl to raw - not the frozen raw from a pet store, but the same raw meat/poultry and vegetables that I eat [only I cook mine first!]

Tikva, my current little one has been on raw since she was fully weaned. I am not saying that kibble/wet food/frozen raw from pet stores is not any good, it is just my preference to feed raw.

As @Chris B said, you should change Lucky onto adult food, and if he is happy with just two meals a day then that is probably all he needs. I would cut down on treats though.

Incidentally, boiled skinless chicken breast chicken or white fish with rice is usually what is recommended for dogs with diarrhoea, not for vomiting, and if Lucky ate the "large portion" you cooked for him I doubt whether that pebble was actually stuck in his throat. It probably just irritated his throat a bit and that was what caused him to vomit.

Good luck with whatever you decide to feed him on, and may we have some pictures of him please?!
  5. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Malka likes this.
    I'm just switching my 6 month old to adult raw and dropping him down to two meals a day instead of 3.
  6. Francesco_italian

Francesco_italian New Member

Name:
    Francesco
    My puppy almost 6 months old still eats Royal Canin junior breed for fb, a friend of mine told me to switch to adult food only when he will be one year old. Is it correct?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not really Francesco - at junior breed and and six months old I think your bubba should be on adult food now. I always changed to adult food at five - six months - except for Tikva, who has been on raw since she was weaned.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Incidentally this is not a new thread so I do not know if the OP came back.