A Toddler and Her Tibetan Mastiff Videos

Discussion in 'Tibetan Mastiff' started by Malka, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

A Toddler and Her Tibetan Mastiff

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-videos/a-toddler-and-her-tibetan-mastiff.aspx

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Beautiful dogs, but not the sort of behaviour I'd encourage tbh - just in case the child hurts the dog inadvertently.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I really hate seeing children climbing all over dogs
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The dog is clearly placid and good natured, but it would only take one moment of frustration, and they would be reporting quite a different story.
  6. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    Lovely to see but as above,dog and toddler don't know whats happening ,going on really x
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    fieldy, CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    The Dog Channel which posted it seemed to think it was "cute". I posted it here to see if people agreed with my thoughts that cute or not, it is not the sort of thing I like to see.

The toddler might hurt the dog - the dog, however placid, might decide it had had enough - it would not be so "cute" then, would it.
  8. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Clarich likes this.
    Gonna have to disagree with the general consensus here if I may.

That child at that age, no matter how hard it could possibly try, could never hurt that dog and believe it or not the dog already knows this. That dog wouldn't be lying down like that if it had a single ounce of distrust for that child. Look at when the child stops petting and then resumes again, the dog doesn't flinch at all. A flinch there would have meant the dog was anxiously anticipating being touched by the child. It however is on cloud nine and loving it, it even started snoring a few times.

The only time the dogs alert goes up is when the child stands, just like we would be watching closely at that age when they stand up all wobbly. The dog however still doesn't lift its head out of the way, meaning he's still ok with the kid bumping or falling on its head because it again already knows, how bad could it possibly be?

When that dog has had enough it only needs to do one thing, stand up and walk away as slow as it wants. Again the dog already knows how fast and accurate that child is, which isn't very fast or accurate at all. Even if the child tried to bite an ear it still wouldn't deal 1/10th of the pain a puppy could deliver.

Kid is 100% safe, actually considering the dog in question, I'd go so far as saying she's more safe with the dog than she is with her own mother.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    That's fine until:

The child gets bigger and hasn't been taught to respect the dog

The dog gets older and pain sets in

It's never, ever a good idea to allow children to take for granted a dog's good nature :(