Advice needed:Grooming Nightmare Grooming

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Kyleluke1001, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Kyleluke1001

Kyleluke1001 New Member

Name:
    Kyle

Advice needed:Grooming Nightmare

Hi all

This evening I took my Rough Collie Wonder to the groomers for a tidy up however the groomers got it badly wrong and clearly had never touched a rough collie before.

She shaved off most of Wonders beard /Mane as she thought it was too thick.

I'm now massively panicking as to how her hair will grow back and what issues she could have regulating her temperature.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with something like this?

Will her hair grow back ok?

Thanks
    Kyle
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Many dogs are shaved for operations at the vets and the hair grows back OK so I wouldn't worry unduly. Similarly, there are many smooth coated dogs who cope fine with temperature regulation.

The groomer sounds totally inexperienced and I can see why you are angry, but try to stop worrying. All that does is make a bad situation worse x
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with Chris, it will grow back. Sometimes a shaved coat can grow back thicker than before - because all the hairs are starting from the same length, and growing at the same rate. You can help to prevent this by keeping her well groomed as her coat re-grows, using a slicker brush and a medium metal comb.
  5. Alexandru Anca

Alexandru Anca New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Hello everybody. I have a bonie Rough Collie too. She had some skin problems (solved) few months ago. Since then she want allow us to groom her, she try to bite, not ours hands but the comb. Because of not proper grooming she had some knots and I was thinking to cut it, but I've heard the hair willl not grow back to a haircut Rough Collie. So thank you for information. Regards, Alex in Transylvania
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    A matt-splitter is the easiest way to break these matts down, as it is less tugging for your dog. Alternatively, you can use tapered hairdressing scissors, and make a series of fine cuts through the matt, in the same direction that the hair grows, never across it. Gently groom out these loosened clumps with a medium metal dog comb. An anti-tangle grooming spray is useful if she will allow you to use a spray. If your girl is being difficult, just do a little at a time, and praise and reward just as you would for a puppy.