advice on choosing my next puppy? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by charlie458, Jan 11, 2016.

1. charlie458

charlie458 New Member

Name:
    charlie
    Azz likes this.

advice on choosing my next puppy?

hey everyone,
    this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

so, here is a little Background

I'm working as a teacher, so I am up early and back around 5-6pm most days.

I have owned a dog before (yellow lab) best fishing buddy I have ever had. He passed away 4 years ago Ive been wanting a dog for about a year now and I think this year could be the year I pull the trigger.

I am wanting to get my puppy during summer, so I will get 3 months to spend as much time with him as possible before school starts back up in August.

I am not a fan of small dogs (personal preference), I would prefer medium to large breed like:
    Greyhound, labradors, doberman pinchers, irish terriers so far

some requirements:
    1. I do have a cat

2. my parents have a Havanese, so if I have chance of bringing my dog over it can't be "aggressive" not my words.

3. I have a beach house where I go fishing so i would like to bring him along with me or at least bring him down and play on the beach

4. also walk off leash would be nice

5. I live a fairly good size apartment

I do realize that the lab might be my best bet, but I'm not sure if I could get another lab.

Are there any other breeds that could fit in my lifestyle?

if there is any more information needed that I forgot let know so I can add it.
    I'm working as a teacher, so I am up early and back around 5-6pm most days.

I have owned a dog before (yellow lab) best fishing buddy I have ever had. He passed away 4 years ago Ive been wanting a dog for about a year now and I think this year could be the year I pull the trigger.

I am wanting to get my puppy during summer, so I will get 3 months to spend as much time with him as possible before school starts back up in August.

I am not a fan of small dogs (personal preference), I would prefer medium to large breed like:
    Greyhound, labradors, doberman pinchers, irish terriers so far

some requirements:
    1. I do have a cat

2. my parents have a Havanese, so if I have chance of bringing my dog over it can't be "aggressive" not my words.

3. I have a beach house where I go fishing so i would like to bring him along with me or at least bring him down and play on the beach

4. also walk off leash would be nice

5. I live a fairly good size apartment (not on the ground floor)

I do realize that the lab might be my best bet, but I'm not sure if I could get another lab.

Are there any other breeds that could fit in my lifestyle?

if there is any more information needed that I forgot let know so I can add it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Retired racing Greyhound as they can live with cats & just love to lounge around on a comfortable sofa all day.
    I would visit a retired Greyhound rescue home they be able to help you find one that's cat friendly
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A Golden Retriever, from a breeder who carries out health testing.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    It depends on the individual dog as well as the breed, If you are committed to having a puppy you would also need to have someone to come in and feed the pup during the day, as initially it will need 3/4 meals a day, which will drop off to two at around six months also be prepared to have your house ‘redecorated ‘ when they reach a certain age, im not saying it cant be done but does take a lot of commitment, it would also help if you had a dog walker / trusted person at least to come in and be with him/her for a while every day even when older .