Advice Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Advice

Hi guys!
    So I finally get my pup on Sunday!! I’m so excited!!!
    He will be staying with me at my mums while I work for the first two weeks!
    As they have changed rota for my job! But at least he’ll always be in company till I come home only working 5 hours!
    I’m needing advice for when I take him back home, will it all be new again and him being uneasy with being in a new house ? Or will he ok because I will be there?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    From the breeder with his dam and siblings, to your mother for two weeks, then to your home - three different homes for such a young puppy in such a very short time is not really settling for him.

If he was staying at your mother's home, with you there, you will still be working for 5 hours a day, and assuming your mother will be at home with him for those two weeks, he will have bonded with her, rather than you.

To then take him to a third home and expecting him to be OK while he will be alone while you are working, is, I think, not an ideal situation.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    You will be the constant for him so make sure you make the most of the bonding time you have with him. If you can, try to visit your own home during that first two weeks to let him get a feel for the place.

Personally, I would crate train him at night to make sure that, again, the crate is a constant when you move back home
  5. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    I was originally off for the first two weeks to settle him in but work have changed the rota.
    So I thought rather than leaving him on his own which I don’t want to for him to stay with mum as she will be in all day.
    Unless you think I should take him home and leave him on his own?! Which I think won’t be fair on him.
    Also yes I will be taking him to mine during the first two weeks and getting him use to it during the day before bringing him back to mums. Also staying at mine on the weekend for the first two weeks.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Leaving him on his own would be far worse. It sounds like you've got it covered. He'll be fine. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress x
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    The “ crate training “ is a great idea
    It does need researching beforehand
    It will keep him out of mischief & give him a sense of home or a place of his own
    Philippa
  8. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    He is already crate trained from the breeders , as when he’s tired and just age he will go off on his own into the crate to sleep.
    I will be carrying this on!
    Thanks guys. I will keep use posted! X