Affenpinscher Discussions

Discussion in 'Affenpinscher' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Affenpinscher

Affenpinscher
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Anyone know anything about them i.e. temperament etc?
    Becky
  4. Abbeypap

Abbeypap New Member

Name:
    Joan
    KC breed standard
    Charachteristics :- Lively and self confident, carrying itself with comic seriousness.

Temperament :- Loyal and Loving companions, watchful of strangers and fearless toward aggressors.

I had the pleasure in visiting one of Scotlands foremost breeders of Affenpinshers. And what a great bunch they were. Not one of them was backward in coming forward, everyone wanted sit on my lap and they didn't mind sharing.

Joan
  5. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    It must just be Herman then the stroppy little swine!!
    Becky
  6. Wanda

Wanda New Member

Name:
    Wanda
    I would love to see one of these dogs "in the flesh". I have only seen photos of them, but think they are really attractive.
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    They are quite noisy breathers :roll: :mrgreen:
    Becky
  8. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    In March I am going to visit the breeder that I hope to get an Affen puppy from. I'm very excited!!

I will be sure to take lots of pics and her permission to post them here!

Mahooli, I'm just hoping that stroppy Herman is the exception!!! The breeder I spoke to at Discover Dogs said that they shouldn't be noisy breathers and their snouts shouldn't be too puggish.

J
  9. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Visited the breeder last weekend and was very impressed by her and her dogs. She ticks all the boxes for a good breeder that I've learnt from this site and she is also a lovely person, so I am very happy!

Although in one respect her dogs didn't conform to the breed spec as they certainly weren't watchful or aloof with strangers! They were all very friendly :grin:

Mahooli I think that Herman is just a law unto himself and fortunately not typical of the breed!

Unfortunately my camera was playing up and I didn't get any decent pictures :-( I'll have another bash on the next visit! Maybe I need to treat myself to a new camera!

J
  10. Lesley G

Lesley G New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Hi,

I'm Lesley and the owner of Herman. I'm not looking for an argument here, but I just wanted to put the record straight, as I feel Herman has had a bit of a raw deal! Firstly, yes he does snore when he is sleeping, but he is not puggish at all and has no problems breathing.

Secondly, he is a law unto himself and although he is a bit feisty, he is also very typical of the breed and is a great character. He is comical, very intelligent and after having him I would never be without an Affen. You will notice in a lot of temperament descriptions they are described as having 'a higher than average tendency to snap', which can sometimes be true, but I think this is due to their high intelligence and also they 'do not suffer fools'.

I would not hesitate to recommend them as a companion - Affens are brilliant.

Like I said, I'm not looking for an argument - just wanted to put Herman's case!!!:wink:
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Now you know it's all in jest lol! :mrgreen:
    Becky
  12. Lesley G

Lesley G New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    I know Becky and even though he's a bit of a little git, he has his own fan club with the students as he's a bid of a cool dude:cool:
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    lol that he is! Did I give you the piccies I took of him when he was here last or not, I can't remember. If not I'll stick them on a stick and bring them over with the grooming seminar ones as well!
    Becky
  14. Lesley G

Lesley G New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Don't think you did - that would be great if you could bring them over - thanks Becky. Can't wait to see 'Pudding' - a black and tan and a black and white poodle in the parlour - brilliant!:038: How is he and the other pups?
  15. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I'll sort that out! Pups are coming on great although not impressed with their first trim lol!
    Becky
  16. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Hi Lesley, welcome to dogsey! Good to see you on here defending the lovely Herman, let's face it we all know Mahooli is biased!!:wink:

You'll be pleased to learn that she hasn't managed to put me off and if all goes to plan I'll be picking up my Affen on Sunday!!!! I'm so excited!:101: :mini: :101:

J
  17. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I converted Lesley to Poodledom so don't think you've got off lightly lol! There's still time!
    Becky
  18. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Definitely! A mini black and tan or parti is definitely still on my doggy wish list!

J
  19. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I'll get you all in the end :002: :mrgreen:
    Becky
  20. Lesley G

Lesley G New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Well, luckily I don't have to choose as I'm on both your sides as I have an Affen and a poodle ;-) :!:

I love them both equally in different ways. Herman the Affen is such a huge character that you can't help but love him even though he is naughty sometimes!! Paddi the poodle I can only describe as just gorgeous. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body - is sweet with everyone (if a bit bossy with dogs visiting the parlour sometimes) and thinks every human and animal on this earth has been put there to be his friend. He even plays with Dennis, our ferret, for a couple of hours every night - something which I couldn't trust either of my other dogs to do.

So, basically I couldn't choose a favourite between them, but think both breeds will always be a member of my family from now on (even though years ago I swore I would never have a 'poncy poodle' - thought I was a bull terrier person through and through - just shows you how wrong you can be!

Good luck with your Affen, you lucky thing - I would love another one - I know you will love it. Which breeder are you getting it from and is it a dog or a bitch?

Lesley
  21. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Just wanted to update this thread to say that I now have my Affenpinscher (in case you missed my excited announcement on the general forum!)

He is a male, Orlock Gomez, pet name Gozo. The breeder's website (am I allowed to post this?) is www.orlock.co.uk

I have posted pics on the pic forum but here's one of my favs...

[​IMG]

Lesley if you see Mahooli, I know she can't get on line so much theses days, tell her we are missing her!

J