Aggressive Frenchie with Girlfriend Obedience

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Brunothefrenchie, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Brunothefrenchie

Brunothefrenchie New Member

Name:
    Craig

Aggressive Frenchie with Girlfriend

Me and my girlfriend got a french bulldog at the beginning of this year. He’s almost 8 months old now. He’s a very loving dog who follows us round everywhere like a shadow. The only issues we have in the house is when we come to eat food, he won’t bother me he will just stare in the hope i give him some but he will try to paw at my girlfriends plate, when she tells him no he growls and snarls, this only happens wen im not in the house. Wen she tries to put him into another room while she eats he stiffens up, he’s bit her on a few occasions, she’s actually scared of him although he’s only a small dog. We also can’t take him to any dog friendly pubs wen we go out for food etc as he just wants to set himself up to other dogs. Any advice welcomed to nip this in the bud.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I recommend that your girlfriend and the dog go to an obedience training class together.

The dog has decided that he doesn't need to listen to her. Going to obedience will teach him that she is to be obeyed and it will teach her how to reinforce that in a positive way. It will also help him with his dog aggression.

Right now, have your girlfriend practice some basic skills with him. Treats are a great way. Any treats are given only when he sits for it. Once he sits, give him the treat. If he refuses to sit, no treat. Both of you should do this with him. When she does it, start with you in the room and then in another room - so he starts to connect the rule with her and not just you. He will learn quickly that to get a treat he must sit. Do this also with toys. Make him sit before putting his food bowl down - once the bowl is on the ground, give him a signal that he can eat (I use "OK", but any cue will work as long as it is consistent). He will catch on quickly that if he wants something, he must sit for it.

Do not let him eat off of people dinnerware - period. If you give him leftovers, always put them in his bowl. This helps reinforce that food on a plate is not his.