Akita + Gull Terr? Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Sast, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Sast

Sast New Member

Name:
    Sast

Akita + Gull Terr?

Hello again, so as a few of you know, I’ve recently got an Akita puppy. He’s 18 weeks right now, and is just at a point where all the early problems are kind of settling down. The last 2 weeks or so have been a breeze and I’m intersted in getting him a companion. Preferably a Gull Dong, or Gull Terr(female). Now I know Akita’s are usually meant to be the only dog in a household, but I also know a few people who have told me their Akita did great with another dog around.

Is this a good idea? Could anybody share their experience owning an Akita and another dog at the same time? And most importantly, does anybody have any knowledge on the Gull Terr or Gull Dong? I know a fair amount, but it is impossible to find extensive research on these breeds, as they are extremely rare outside of Pakistan. Would it be possible to own a male Japanese Akita, and a female Gull Terr/Dong?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes the Akita will get along with another dog, I had 2 Akita’s and Gsd live happily together, I am not familiar with the Gull Terr/Dong so can’t advise,by all means get a 2nd dog if you want another dog, but do it for yourself not because you think your pup needs a companion, not every dog wants or needs a companion and some prefer to be the only dog.

Two dogs do not equal less work, it is more work, most people seem to think the dogs will wear each other out, but that isn't enough, you will have to train and spend quality time with each of the dogs by themselves.

Should you decide to go ahead I would wait until your present pup is, 18 to 24 months old that gives you time to concentrate on bonding and training him, which is better than trying to cope with training two young dogs at once.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    I had never heard of this breed.
    From the site, www.EasyPetMD.com
    Gull Dong. Alternative names, Bully Gull Terrier, Pakistani Bull Dog, Gull Dang, Kanda.
    Not recognised by any international kennel club outside Pakistan.
    Weight 90 - 140 lbs.
    Height, Females, 30 - 34 inches, Males, 34 - 42 inches.
    Compatibility with other Pets:
    Known to be dog aggressive.
    May injure or kill other animals.
    Not recommended for homes with existing dogs.
    Not recommended for homes with small animals.

Although I am not a supporter of breed specific legislation, how much experience do you have in handling a large molosser breed of this type? This breed is described as aggressive and confrontational, and is recommended for experienced handlers only. I dread to think how they would co-habit with children. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.
  5. Sast

Sast New Member

Name:
    Sast
    Thanks! It would definitely be for me, not just for the sake of the dog. Glad to hear all your dogs got along well. Waiting till 18+ months make sense. In terms of providing the necessary amount of care, I’m prepared for group. I have space for each pet to have their own area inside as well as outside. So I think I have a good setup for each dog to have enough individual space, and give each dog enough individual attention.
  6. Sast

Sast New Member

Name:
    Sast
    I have read up on temperament, but there are also websites that say similar things about Akita’s, Dobermans, Rottweilers, etc. So it’s tough to say how exactly they compare. However it is not something I am overlooking.

I’m pretty young myself, so children are not a worry, and my only dog is an akita, so small pets aren’t a concern either.
    I do have moderate experience with “aggressive” dogs. My parents still have the Presa Canario that I grew up living with, and my girlfriend is currently in vet school.

I strongly believe that if I got one as a puppy, and it grew up with my Akita, they would get along well as adults. I’m very confident in my ability to handle strong temperaments, but the limited amount of information on the Gull Terrier, and the absence of any registrations of the breed in the USA is a slight concern, being that there would not be anybody to go to for advice. Which is why I’m very open to taking peoples opinions into consideration (yours included).