Akita knows how to take chain link gate off its hinges... General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by who owns who, May 15, 2019.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

Akita knows how to take chain link gate off its hinges...

Oh no. My thread title states pretty clearly my problem. However I do think I have a solution. I need to drill into the post/peg that the gate hinges slide over and tap it for a small bolt or screw and put a washer that’s large enough to keep him from being able to lift it off. Previously he knew how to open the latch when there wasn’t a lock on it. The gate is 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide. Too smart for his own good... it is kind of funny, but only because I think I can make it so he can’t take off the gate.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Wow !
    It doesn’t surprise me, they are so clever.
    I wish I could have seen it happen
    Did they stay home or go on a mini adventure ? I suppose there’s a chance you will never know what they did !
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh 'eck. The worse thing that happens to me if opening the door and letting Tikki out when she is not clipped onto her tether. Pereg could open the front door but Tik is too small to reach, so I always made sure that tether was on before the door was open.

But I do forget at times with Tikki.

However, luckily it only needs a yell "Tikki, boi achshav" [Tikki come now] and she does. I dread to think if she did not, with the road so close.
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It was actually in my fenced area across the dirt road from my house where my workshop and garden are. It’s a rather large fenced area, but the dogs are fenced out of the area that’s my garden. Bandit took off a gate between the area I have for the dogs, and the garden. I had a friend visiting just before it got dark and we were in the garden area and Bandit wanted to be with us, because I had a visitor. He’s gotten used to me being in there and is more or less ok with that, but since I had a visitor he felt he needed to be part of what was going on... Katie Mae didn’t even realize he’d opened the gate. First he was barking, than he stood up on the gate, than he tore off the wire securing the fencing to the bottom of the frame so he could try and squeeze through, he tried biting through the fencing, and I think he eventually lifted it up by getting his nose underneath the frame, trying to force his way under, and it popped off its pegs. He sure was persistent. Now that he knows he can do that, I don’t trust any of the gates until I make it so they can’t lift off... it is a design flaw, a thief could do the same thing to get in. I’ll call a fencing company in the morning and see if they make a better hinge.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oops - Bandit sure is an intelligent booga. Sounds like you have a lot of work with gates and fencing. Best of luck to you!
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I don’t think it will actually take that long to remedy, but I’m not sure if I have a tap to thread the hole I drill to put in a screw or bolt. Plus it’s supposed to rain tomorrow so I probably won’t get to it until Sunday when I have my next day off
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We have bolts fitted on our gate hinges. To avoid tapping, OH had a hole drilled horizontally through the hanging pin, and then fitted a quarter inch sized nut and bolt through that hole. (Does that make sense? Wish I could draw it!).
    Your two will have probably pushed their heads under the gate to lift it off, but in our case it was done to deter any opportunist scrap collectors!
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    @CaroleC, I think I can drill a hole horizontally just above the hinge through the frame of the gate and put a nut and bolt that extends over the hinge. I can’t actually go thru the hinge pin horizontally because that would prevent the hinge from working. Thanks for the idea, this should be easier than tapping it!!! This isn’t the gate he lifted off but they will all need the same treatment AA6119B4-4ADE-437D-95C7-4E79B2B47650.jpeg
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I see your problem. We had more of the upright to play with.
    Apologies for my spider breeding activities.

IMG_20190515_180808.jpg
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bear with me. Message from OH.
    If you turn the top hinge upside down, the gate will still swing on the bottom hinge, but the top one will stop it from being lifted off.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    That’s brilliant!! Wish I could say I thought of it.. I’ll probably need someone to hold the gate for me while I flip the hinge, but so much simpler than drilling a hole that might eventually rust out. Please give your OH a big thanks from me!!!
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He says, You're welcome.
  14. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I love this post, it’s hilarious
    Almost a DIY section
    Let’s hope it works and from what I now know about Akitas....as you are doing the adjustments they will be watching your every move ! !
    Already hatching their next plan LOL
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    They won’t be watching because I’ll leave them in the house while working on it.. I’m glad Bandits antics helped amuse you ; -)

He is persistent and they are very clever and are watching and absorbing more than I realize. It’s part of what makes me love the breed so much, also what can make them a challenge, that they can figure things out inside their big furry heads