Akita Runt Of Litter Health

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Newakitaowner, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira

Akita Runt Of Litter

Hello To All Member's

I have a 18 wk old female American akita who has been with me since about 12wks old and she only weighed at that age at 9.6 kgs and now weighs 11.5 kgs at 18 wks she is being feed about 380 grams of food throughout the day mainly in her crate , i exercise her about 2- 3 times a day for about 10- 15 mins ,but still seems low on the weight , Should i be concerned or will she eventually catch up to her other litter mates as they weigh at least 14 plus kgs ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I wouldn’t be overly concerned about her weight /size as long as she’s healthy and not skinny. What brand of food are you feeding her? What has your vet said. She might never catch up to her larger littermates. Female Akitas generally are about 70-100 lbs, males are usually larger.

I have what I consider to be two small Akitas. My male runs between 83-86 lbs, and my female 69-72 lbs, approximately. The girl, especially, seems tiny to me as my first Akita was in the 120 lb range. Honestly it’s easier to handle a smaller dog, they eat less, and as long as their bone structure is good they are less likely to have issues from being large.

Did you get the dog from a reputable breeder! Do they show their dogs? What’s the breeder say? That weight gain does seem very slow. Have you had her tested for parasites? My female, who I got when she was about 4 months old, weighed about 36-37 lbs when I got her, from what I remember off the top of my head.

Can you put up a few photos so we can see her size and shape, plus people here like to see pictures of others dogs. If she’s healthy you might just end up with a really cute mini Akita.

Also out of curiosity, what country are you in.
  4. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    Hi , I forgot to mention this breeder i did contact them about this about 2 wks ago and she said "not to stress" , but less exercise and a little more food which i was already doing on the food part , i am feeding her a high grade grain free kibble , No i havent taken her to the vet yet other than for her vaccination at 12 wks And i also wormed her at 12 wks also .. The thing is her Mum is nearly as big as her dad who is big , so i was hoping she would end up being of similar size as Mum , but i know thats no guarantee to take after ,her. No this is a breeder who isnt registered as far as i know or shows their dogs ., I will upload some pics asap . Thanks for the reply ! :)
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    If the breeder isn't registered and doesn't show... Your dog might be mixed with something, which may explain why she is smaller than expected. Are you totally sure the two dogs the breeder claimed were the parents are actually the parents? Did you SEE the parents in person?

The runt doesn't always catch the others... But then sometimes the runt passes the others. My new puppy had tons of parasites and did not gain any weight at all the first two weeks I had him despite him eating a ton. The parasites were taking everything from him.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    There is no way to be sure, but she does sound very small for this breed.
    Don't try to force her into gaining weight though. Feed her the correct amount of a decent quality, high protein food, (which it sounds as if you are already doing), and she will be whatever size and weight Mother Nature has decided will be right for her.
  7. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    I know that the breeder got both the Dam and Sire from a Registered breeder . As far as i know runts can and or will show up even from quality lines . Yes i know the parents are the parents because i had a friend view the whole clan in person for me . All i want to know is and make sure i am doing what i can now for the pup and not what i could have done when its too late .