Akitas ears Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Oakley, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Name:
    aaron

Akitas ears

My akitas ears arent standing yet is there a problem ? he is about to be 15 weeks they'll stand sometimes but they'll mostly be erect if he really gets into playing around and running so that must be a good sign right ? But other then that they will just be floppy . Just now starting to lose some baby teeth and he weighs 50 pounds I think he will be a big boy
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    An Akita at 15 weeks and 50 lbs? Are you sure he's a pure bred Akita? That seems a tad big, it also may be why his ears aren't standing. My boy was 19 lbs at 15 weeks and is 100 lbs.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Depending on type body and build Akita pups at 8 weeks old weigh around 18/22 lb mark. The American type (male) fully grown range between 100–130 lbs Bitches 70 /100 lbs.

I wouldn’t worry about the ears just yet plus the fact he is teething, it’s a good sign that they are moving up/down. Good chew toys or bones can help.

The weight sounds about right for his age, but don’t let him get to heavy/fat.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    An adult dog with a healthy weight of 100+lbs could very easily be 50lbs at 4 or so months old. Size sounds absolutely fine.
    Sam (borzoi) was 20 - 25lbs at 12 weeks, and is fully grown now (and in good condition) at 80lbs.

Teething can do crazy things to ears though! If you got him from a reputable breeder, there shouldn't be an issue :)
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I suppose much like German Shepherd dogs, their ears just take time. My previous dog was rail thin all his life at 60 lbs and was likely around the same weight as Nigredo at 16 weeks. Suppose it can be random. Nigredo is chunky, but then early neuter Labrador type dogs can have this issue, unlike say... Greyhounds or whatever other raily type racing dog breeds.

PS - My dog Jade has perfectly pointed German Shepherd ears but when she came here, they were totally floppy. Can take time.
  7. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Name:
    aaron
    CaroleC likes this.
    This is him at about 1 week shy of 5 months his ears are still floppy but sometimes he puts them up like this when alert or excited but they won't stay up

Attached Files:

8. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Name:
    aaron
    His tail does always stayed curled but at times it does fall back I believe he is pure bred he's real beautiful I just hope his ears do choose to stand one thing I have noticed different is his ears are starting to feel firmer but they are still floppy and he's not fat I won't let that happen trying best to keep him lean
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ear carriage can be erratic in some breeds during teething. I'm sure an Akita person will know for sure, but he is looking great to me.
  10. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Name:
    aaron
    Yazmin likes this.
    Here he is again today at the dog park with ears down like most of the time except when alert or excited

Attached Files:

11. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    CaroleC likes this.
    We got Miko when she was 4 months old, her ears were a little floppy but within a week stood up and now remain up. I think chewing helps so a good bone or chew toy might do the job :). I've attached a pic of her when she was 8 weeks and another taken recently (8 months). Your Akita is beautiful though love his colouring! image.jpeg image.jpeg
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    CaroleC likes this.
    Jade at 7 weeks already had a semi prick

[​IMG]

At 13, fully standing all the time.

[​IMG]

Just give it time!
  13. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Name:
    aaron
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you all you guys and just yesterday night one his ears stood up and stayed up so I'm thinking they both should be up in the next couple weeks just think he's a late bloomer lol I'll send pics later
  14. Rick H

Rick H New Member

Name:
    Rick
    I came to this website and this particular thread years ago looking for info and thought I would revisit with my own story now. My wife and I have had Akitas for over 30 years - not breeders, just Akita lovers. First the overwhelming majority (all but one) of our Akitas ears were up very early in their first year. Also, 50 pounds at 15 weeks for a male American Akita is not at all uncommon. Our most current male Akita (yes, pure bred with papers), which we obtained at 11 weeks old was already 40 lbs. then. Kuma, at 4 years old now, is a very fit and muscular 130 lbs.
    Now for the ears...we learned, with Kuma...just be patient. We thought Kuma's ears would never stand up since our previous Akitas were all up within a few months. Even at 1 year old, only the right ear was partially up. By 1-1/2 y.o., the right one was up but the left was only partially starting to come up. Finally, by the time he was 3 y..o., both ears were up as they should be and remained that way. A very late bloomer. So, those with the same problem, maybe your dog's never will, sometimes that happens, but again...patience.
  15. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Rick. You have given us new hope that just maybe our 15 month old female will pop her right ear up. She had it up for a week when she was about 11 weeks old. She can put it up when she pushes it back but when she relaxes back down it goes.