Alaskan Klee Kai General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Cheyenne, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie

Alaskan Klee Kai

Hi all

Was just wondering if anyone has any info on Alaskan Klee Kai's? :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    This is the list of health issues, and probably why the breed never took off here.

Juvenile Cataracts
    Liver Disease
    Extreme Shyness
    Factor VII Deficiency
    Luxating Patella
    Cryptorchids
    Cardiac Issues including PDA
    Thyroid disease-including autoimmune thyroiditis
  4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Wow!!! Lots of probs then, do they not health test them then?

I met one once at a show I went to, was a strainge little thing but sweet at the same time.
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

No epilepsy? :mrgreen:
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    LOL!! :mrgreen:
  7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Yeh looks like another breed going down the same path :-(
  8. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I've heard of them...there was a good website that gave information on them...I'll see if I can dig it up.
  9. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    The reason I ask is because my daughter wants to learn to train and show dogs, and to have a dog that she can care for and walk. She has been practising clicker training on my boy diesel in the house and is doing really well, her timing is great! but all of our dogs are too big and strong for her to take out. We've been going through the internet to try to find a small breed that she can handle and that will fit into my pack, anyone got any idea's? :grin:
  10. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thank you :grin:
  11. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Could she volunteer at a local training group - to help train small dogs? I'm not convinced that one should take on a dog for the purposes of learning to be a trainer.
  12. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I looked into these before. I was researching all things husky/malamute/ nothern breed looking and they cropped up in a search, like you I was intrigued and charmed by them... They are basically miniature huskies. I followed the breed all the way along to the lady who started them.. Try googling Linda Spurlin.

They look sweet enough, but like all miniature breeds there are bad breeders and bad health passed on. Maybe someone knows of a good uk breeder on here?
  13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thats not the whole reason why she wants and I want her to have her own dog.

I think it would be good for any child to learn to care for and look after a dog, which inclueds training and can inclued showing for fun for both handler and dog. I will be at hand to ensure the dog is well looked after, IMO the best education is first hand experiance.

If more kids were brought up to learn how to care for dogs, there would be less niglect and cruelty in the world.
  14. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    http://www.alaskankleekai.com/
    http://www.alaskankleekai.com/spurlin/index.htm

lol, those weren't the links I was looking for, but they are better...and it seemed almost too easy. Sorry if you have already read these. Personally, I find it all very interesting...but there is one quote on the second link that really concerns me....if you have the time to read through it you will see what I mean.
  15. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

It's a nice sentiment but what happens to the new dog if she gets bored? Can't she take responsibility for one of the dogs you already have?
  16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Hi yes I've seen them, and yes I see what you mean. To be honest, it wouldn't feel right to me to buy a pup from a breeder like that :-(
  17. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    If she gets bored the dog will still continue to be a part of the family, and she will still have to take the dog out for walks and continue to care for him/her. Our other dogs are too big and strong for her to handle, hence why i would like to get a small breed of dog for her.
  18. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I wonder if there are any in my area that I could meet. My fiance often talks of them (not that I would permit any dog under 20 inches or 40 lbs into my house---sorry, personal choice) But since we first got our husky when we lived in a small apartment, we had toyed with the idea...obviously we didn't go with it, but I can see why some would be interested.
  19. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    LOL! Normally I would be with you there :grin: but something smaller would be better for my daughter. She always comes out on dog walks every day and loves it, she runs the whole way! I really don't know how she does it :shock: lol

Let me know if you find any :grin:
  20. Archer

Archer New Member

LOL...sound like my OH 3 years ago before we were given our first shiba inu....now he wouldn't be without them!:grin:
  21. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yeah maybe we could all send our kids to the NI breeder who is advertising for free help and care for her dogs..
    Go live in her caravan and do all the work..That way you don't have to buy your own..