Alfie (ES) and Katie (weim) Training Training

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Helen, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen

Alfie (ES) and Katie (weim) Training

Wasn't such a good training session with Katie this morning. We seem to have gone back a lot of steps in her training and are nearly back to square one, where she is getting nervous. The biggest problem, and mistake on my part, was training her when in season. I think that has really put her back. We are going to go right back to basics with her next time. Her owner is a bit frustrated but I think we should do ok.

To help calm her down a bit, I thought I would take Alfie (not Sid like last time as he is still on lead walks and recalling in the paddock! lol) but Alfie just wanted to hump Katie. She has been out of season for a week but she will smell.

We decided to split up and I have to say, Alfie did brilliantly. I have done a bit of hunting with him but not much as he wasn't ready but after he chased a snipe (which I allowed him to), I started quartering with him and he really picked it up and was working the wind well. At the end, I started to put the whistle in and he started to respond pretty quickly. I'll up my training with him, I think and get him really hunting. I'm not taking him on the grouse just yet, but will play it by ear and will take him when he tells me he is ready.

So, a training session in two halves today.

Helen
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Sorry that Katie's training went backwards, but at least there's a good reason for it.

Alfie sounds like he's doing well. Do you have many snipe? We've been flushing woodcock from unusual places in the last fortnight (since the cold snap) and Saba seems to be extra pleased with herself, as if she knows how highly prized they are!
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    What is she getting nervous of? Birds? Hunting?
  5. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Not so much woodcock around, although we do see the odd one. There is a LOT of snipe in the fields I train in. Lovely birds, especially when they start drumming.

It's difficult to pinpoint what it is she is getting nervous of. 3 weeks ago, she was hunting well, and ranging a reasonable distance. Since her season, she is sticking close to her owner. She isn't scared of the game, although she could have been when a pheasant pecked her on the nose, but we have encountered pheasant after that.

If it were a choice of the 2, I would say hunting, or at least being away from her owner but I don't know why. She is quite a nervous/sensitive dog, and I'm starting to wonder if we are actually going to get past that.

There is also something else into the equation which put her back and that is gunshot. She has been to clayshoots and has been beating all season but when a shot was fired over her, at a rabbit, she ran back to her owner so that is possibly something else we could be dealing with.

Any thoughts? Dotty, my setter was sensitive and we struggled with her but tbh, she has a lot bigger drive than Kate so we reasonably easy to sort her out as she would panic at the end of it, in the point and would back out of her point but her whole being was to find that game.

Would welcome any pointers (pardon the pun!)

Helen
  6. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Well, we had a half decent session today and she was nearly back to how she was a few weeks ago. Hunting well, and did have a few points. She was getting very keen. She is a difficult dog to work out but I feel a little more hopefuly after today.

Helen
  7. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Another half decent training session. She took a bit to get going but think she was a little unsure about my dogs barking in the kennel.

She did eventually settle and start ranging a little bit out. She is a little worried about pheasants, although she will scent them. She went on point, but then backed out, which I do have experience of as Dotty, my setter did that and it was just a case of encouragement. I was pleased she actually pointed them though. Slowly, slowly with her.

Helen
  8. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Glad to hear you're making progress. She sounds like she is a sensitive dog who is easily overwhelmed.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Hmm sounds as though she is sound sensitive which, IME is more tricky to sort out than being actually gun shy, which can be desensitised and counter conditioned.

Fingers crossed.
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    We are both under no illusions that we can actually fix this but we are going to try, even though it may take a long time.

He is getting a cocker pup to take beating (I don't think an hpr is particularly good for beating anyway) so that will take the pressure of Katie a bit.

Helen
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    And thus the problem may, as we say, self resolve :)
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Well, maybe not as he is wanting to shoot over her.

Helen
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    WHat I meant was that once the pressure is taken of this dog, he may find that some of these issues disappear........
  14. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    oh right! and I think you are right.

Helen